Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saturdays

When I was a working schmuck, Saturday was my favorite day, at least when I didn’t have a big project where I had to work on Saturday. It was a day of rest and relaxation after a hectic week of work.

I still have the hectic weeks. Only now, the weeks are hectic because of a variety of reasons, many of which are out of my control.

This week was no exception:

  1. My roof is still leaking even after the second visit by the roofer. I have a Lifetime Roof, which is guaranteed to last a lifetime. Unfortunately, the company that put it on didn’t.
  2. Mom has had an awful week. She’s developed a pattern of sleeping for 36 hours (with some moments for eating, etc.) and then staying awake for 36 hours (of course, I have to be awake for this too). She’s fallen 3 times this week; one time I thought she was going to take out the TV (she goes up there to talk to the people on the screen, in spite of being told they can’t hear her).
  3. For a day and a half, Mom was hardly able to stand up and, in the process of helping her get to the bathroom, I threw something out in my back.
  4. Much of the week, it’s been rainy and cold which means that Mom can’t go out and she loves to go out in the car.

There are, however, some counterbalances to all of this:

  1. Right at Home Plant City has such great people who come in and care for Mom and give me a break.
  2. Joe Langford, the roofer, is a pleasant man (a Glenn Beck fan, so he must be okay) who is determined to make these minor leaks go away.
  3. Mom has a number of good days or, at least, good hours and is often sweet and easy to get along with. She must have bones of steel.
  4. Sitting with Mom while she’s sleeping gives me a lot of time to read on my new Amazon Kindle, as well as on print books. (I’m currently working on U Is for Undertow, the long-awaited novel by Sue Grafton.
  5. My back is better.

I still look forward to Saturdays, but not for the respite in work. On Saturdays, my RV Travel newsletter arrives in my email. It is jam-packed with all kinds of info on camping and safety, as well as lots of links to RV forums and blogs. Yes, there are a lot of advertisements running through it, but so much good info. You can check out this week’s issue at http://rvtraveler.c.topica.com/maanCvuabUQ5vbNYiLJb/

I haven’t done much Camper Prep this week except for some reading.

Till next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment