Sunday, March 18, 2012

Deuteronomy 21 – 23 and Custom Holster

Deuteronomy 21 – 23

Moses continues to discuss how the Israelites are supposed to comport themselves in the Promised Land. Some of the practices probably seem strange and barbaric to you, but this was a different time and God was trying to give His people a way to obey.

It is interesting how they dealt with things when a murder went unsolved. It was important that they be absolved of the guilt of the murdered person’s blood and that the community be cleansed from the guilt of murder.

God watched out for women also, making rules to protect a captured woman whom an Israelite married. He also protected the firstborn, regardless of how the father felt about the mother of the child.

A rather harsh punishment was meted out to rebellious sons – stoning. The reason was given: “In this way, you will purge this evil from among you, and all Israel will hear about it and be afraid” -- Deut 21:21. It is clear that evil exists and that it is like a disease; it spreads if left unchecked.

I imagine the restrictions for illegitimate persons really discouraged illegitimacy. Not being admitted to the assembly would have been a severe punishment – and for ten generations. Wow!

Did you notice the rules about bathroom functions? The people had to designate an area outside the camp. This would protect them from a lot of disease.

I never noticed before how slaves who escape their masters were allowed to take refuge and could not to be returned to their masters.

Fellow Israelites were not be charged interest if they borrowed money or food or anything else.

An Israelite could go into a neighbor’s vineyard and eat grapes or into a neighbor’s field and eat grain, but could not take any with them.

I hope you are finding these regulations as interesting as I am, but aren’t you glad you don’t have to live under these rules?

Tomorrow, it’s Deuteronomy 24 – 27.

Custom Holster

Today, I finished my first custom holster, one I made a pattern for, cut the leather, carved and tooled, and assembled. I had made a holster before, from a purchased pattern, but it’s not the same.

Did I make mistakes? Oh, yeah. The first one: I cut the holster for a left-hander, even though I had marked the pattern left and right. I guess I was so excited to be cutting it out that I didn’t pay attention. I didn’t do as good a job of cutting it out as I should have. Part of that problem is the lighting – I couldn’t see the line very well.

I’ve already turned the pattern over and cut a right-hand holster, stamped it, carved  it, and dyed it. I need to get some other paints, since I want to add a little color to the eagle that’s flying across it. Probably, I’ll finish it next week.

Here’s picture of the first custom holster I made:

Holster - First custom  left hand,jpg

This is so much fun and I am getting lots of practice.

By the way, if you haven’t seen the following video, please take the time to watch. It’s amazing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/vijay_kumar_robots_that_fly_and_cooperate.html

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment