Monday, March 1, 2010

Mom’s Life-Long Habit

Many of the readers of this blog may not be aware of one of my mother’s life-long habits: NEVER GIVE UP!

Throughout her life, Mom, who never went beyond the 10th grade, worked so hard and never gave up, in spite of the circumstances, including after her marriage and separation from my father. She raised her three kids on a waitress’s salary, working overtime whenever she could. My dad left home when Mom was pregnant with my brother Jeff and NEVER sent any child support.

I can remember reading by candlelight when Mom didn’t have enough money to pay the electric bill, but I don’t remember ever going hungry. In spite of the financial difficulties, I don’t think any of us ever thought of ourselves as poor – even though we were at least in terms of what money can buy. We were never poor in terms of a mother’s love and support of a wonderful family.

Following is a poem I wrote for Mother’s Day several years ago. I think it tells the story.

My Mom

My mom worked hard when I was young, so that we all could eat.

With three kids and no help from dad, this was a stellar feat.

Her formal education stopped the day she reached grade ten.

Her father thought school was a place reserved for boys and men.

Well-paid jobs were hard to find without some special skills,

But she worked hard--the hours were long--so she could pay the bills.

When I was young, she brushed my hair and washed my hands and face.

She listened while I rambled on, wiggling all over the place.

She washed my clothes and wiped my nose and bandaged my bruised knees.

She wiped my tears and calmed my fears and, gently, cared for me.

She read to us, when she had time, and I can still recall

Rapunzel with her golden locks, the prince who scaled the wall.

She kept us on the narrow way and taught us right from wrong.

She taught us all to love to read, to sing a country song.

Saturdays, we went to sleep with the Wheeling Jamboree.

Doc Williams sang us lullabies, at least before TV.

We did not know that we were poor, though there never was too much,

We always knew that we were loved by voice and act and touch.

What is there I can do for her to thank her for her care,

To thank her for her constant love, for always being there.

Good mothers are a gift from God, and He gave me the best

When He gave me a mother who stands out from all the rest.

She’s loved so much. There are no words to thank her for her love.

I pray that God will rain on her His blessings from above.

 

As you know, if you read this blog on a regular basis, Mom is getting weaker and weaker. She can no longer walk, even with help, but it doesn’t keep her from trying. I took a picture today which shows her life-long habit is still in force.

Here she is in her roll-a-tor, which I had to lift her into, trying to lift herself out. I have to remind her that her legs will not support her weight. She just will not give up her wish to walk wherever she wants.

Mom in Rollator-2

Isn’t her hair beautiful? It’s been many years since she has had long hair – I never remember seeing her with it, though I have seen pictures. Maria, one of Mom’s helpers, likes to comb Mom’s hair and put it up in different ways. This style is particularly attractive.

The picture also gives you an idea of how skinny she’s getting, though the sweater masks how thin her arms and upper body are.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment