Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Busy, Busy – Some Things Done

Sorry that it has take so long to write in this blog, but the last several days have been very hectic.

On Saturday, there was a cremation committal service for three of my dearest family members: my husband Mark, who died 12/4/2002; my mother Ethelyn, who passed away 3/7/2010 and my cousin Alger, who slipped away quietly 3/26/2010. These are three people whom I loved dearly and who have had a tremendous influence on my life.

Seventy-four people, family members and friends of our loved ones, attended a breakfast buffet at which we held the committal service. My cousin’s pastor was supposed to conduct the service, but he was in the hospital. The substitute, John Armstrong, did a wonderful job. Many kind words were spoken by people who had known and loved our dear ones. Many tears were shed and much laughter resounded as people recounted stories of them.

The food was good; the fellowship outstanding. If I learned anything at all, it was a confirmation that I have one of the best families in the world. We had people there from as far as El Paso, TX. Others came from Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia and New York. Since this took place in New York, there were quite a few from there also.

Saturday afternoon, we buried the ashes of my wonderful husband and my magnificent mother. Their stones, which were from Hoare’s Monument Company in Elmira, NY, were all that they should be. On Monday morning, we buried the ashes of my cousin Alger. Although they were all laid to rest in beautiful cemeteries, we know that they do not really reside there. It’s but a resting place until the resurrection.

I’ve also been in Pennsylvania visiting Mark’s sister Joyce and her husband Mike. I went there to visit them and to pick up my sister-in-law Esther, who lives in Tampa, FL. We all had a great dinner last night and were joined by my niece Celeste, her husband Shawn, and two of her children: Luke and Micah.

This morning, I took Esther to the Ithaca airport so she can fly back to Florida and I returned to my cousin Ethelyn’s. We went to Pizza Hut and enjoyed a buffet tonight. It was pretty good though I think I’m having Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza withdrawal.

I’m hoping to get to Canandaigua to see my friends Carolyn and Dave, but haven't been able to reach them yet. Hopefully, their daughter will let me know what’s going on pretty soon. In Canandaigua, there is a Pontillo’s Pizza – but I’d rather see my friends, if I had to make a choice. Better, of course, would be to meet her at Pontillo’s.

Hope all is well with all of you.

Until next time…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy, glad you are having a nice trip. Sounds like the memorial went well. It is hard to imagine that Mark has been gone that long. My heart goes out to you with hugs. Enjoy yourself and drive safely.
    ~Dianne

    ReplyDelete