Friday, July 9, 2010

I Love New York!

Although Mark and Mom and I left New York State around the beginning of 1989, I still love New York. We left for many reasons, but especially because we went for 90 days without seeing the sun shine at all. Winters were long and cold. Spring and fall were beautiful and summers were hot. I don’t remember any summers being as hot as this one has been and in New York, most homes do not have central A/C.

One difference from Florida in the heat of summer is that in New York, it cools down at night. It was in the high 90’s yesterday, but my camper was very comfortable by 10:30 last night. In fact, this morning I had to cover up to get warm.

But New York is a beautiful state. From the beauty of the mountains and streams to the Finger Lakes. From the Adirondack Mountains to the Catskills. And I suppose there is a beauty to the metropolitan New York area if you don’t look too closely.

People in my home town of Painted Post are very friendly. They shop at WalMart just like we do in Florida. Rather than Publix, they do their grocery shopping at Wegman’s. Publix could take some lessons from Wegman’s, where you can always get Zweigle’s hot dogs.

My cousins, where I've stayed most of the time here, live in a rural area near Corning, NY. Just a few minutes ago, I got to see a turkey feeding on my cousin’s raspberries. I wasn’t fast enough to get a picture of this very skittish bird. I’ve seen deer and some stray dogs and the evidence that a bear had been outside the door of my cousin’s house.

They live on a steep hill so I get my exercise every morning walking from my camper to their house. Much, much different than flat Florida.

Of course, New York State has its problems. It’s been run for years by liberals who have spent the state into bankruptcy despite the tax increases. Taxes just keep going up. In fact, they have increased so much that many wealthy individuals and some not so wealthy have moved out of the state. There are more rules and regulations here – again the product of a government inclined to want to control its citizens as much as possible.

I’m glad I’m not a resident of New York, but I still love New York and will probably visit again soon. I love it in the fall when the leaves are changing and in the spring when the lilacs and forsythia are blooming.

Hope you get a chance to visit New York really soon.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment