Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Marietta Visitors

This morning, it was my intention to drive to Kennesaw Mountain and go hiking at the Battlefield Park there, but as I was leaving the camper, I noticed that my camera battery was almost exhausted. Deciding to go a little later, I got out my battery charger and hooked it up. I figured it would take about an hour to charge.

While I was waiting, my phone rang. My sister-in-law Kathy wanted to know if it was alright for her and her mother to come over so we could go to lunch together. How providential! I had a little time and drove to WalMart for some more stuff – is there a day where it’s not a good idea to go to WalMart? I had to get a dishpan and some crackers to go with the cheese I bought yesterday – who knows why I bought the cheese in the first place.

In any case, they arrived around 1:00 pm and we decided to try out the famous Marietta Diner. It’s been featured on the Food Network.

We were NOT disappointed.

What a menu they have!

Kathy and her mother split a Reuben Panini and I had the authentic Greek Salad … complete with Dolmades, Kalamata olives and 1”x1”x4” chunks of Feta cheese. I also ordered a Grilled Feta appetizer with tomatoes and red onion. Everything was absolutely delicious. Services is wonderful I could go there for every meal while I’m here and not exhaust the possibilities.

As proof of my visit, following is a picture of the take-out box – I couldn’t eat all of my salad and will probably have it for breakfast tomorrow. I doubt I’ll be able to eat any more today.

Marietta Diner Box-1

Apparently, the owners of the Marietta Diner own three other restaurants in the area: the Marietta Fish Market, the Cherokee Cattle Co., and Pasta Bella. I doubt I’ll have the time to visit all of them, but maybe on one of my future trips to the area, I’ll get to try them.

Last night, I spent some more time reading about Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery. Fascinating stuff! Did you know that on the return voyage, a one-eyed member of the company named Pierre Cruzatte shot Meriwether Lewis in the butt while hunting? He’s the same man who owned a violin and used to entertain the company at night with his playing.

Until next time…

I’ll try to pass on any other interesting tidbits as I come across them.

No comments:

Post a Comment