Saturday, June 9, 2012

Proverbs 19 –21 and A Busy Day

Proverbs 19 -21

There is so much truth in these three chapters that it is hard to pick which ones to discuss.

Did you see Proverbs 19:2; I think it was Benjamin Franklin who restated this as “Haste makes waste.” The next verse is so wise: “People ruin their lives by their own foolishness and then are angry at the Lord.” Quite a few verses are devoted to the importance of telling the truth and not lying and also about using false weights, unequal measures and double standards. Didn’t you love Proverbs 19:13? Have you ever been driven crazy by a dripping faucet? Obviously, Solomon has. And I wonder how he knew that “It’s better to live alone in the corner of an attic than with a quarrelsome wife in a lovely home.” (Proverbs 21:9

Do you help the poor? If so, remember that you are lending to the Lord and he will repay you. Much is said about lazy people, including that they take food in their hand and don’t even lift it to their mouth. That’s pretty graphic, isn’t it? He also warns (Proverbs 21:13) that “Those who shut their ears to the cries of the poor will be ignored in their own time of need.” Or, also Proverbs 21:19: “It’s better to liove alone in the desert than with a quarrelsome, complaining wife.”

When I read Proverbs 20:1, I couldn’t help but think of Brad Paisley’s song “Alcohol.” It starts out like this:

I can make anybody pretty
I can make you believe any lie
I can make you pick a fight
With somebody twice your size

Listen to this song sometime; it will bring home the truth of Proverbs 20:1.

Proverbs 20:19 should give all of us pause: “A gossip goes around telling secrets, so don’t hang around with chatterers.” If someone is sharing gossip with you, you have to believe they are sharing info about you to others.

Do you believe in physical punishment? Solomon sure did. He said it “cleanses away evil; such discipline purifies the heart.” I don’t think this means it should be excessive, but I was physically punished when I was a kid (I know you can’t believe I would do anything that would result in punishment) and it didn’t kill me or scar me for life, but it did teach me some valuable lessons.

The recurring theme in Proverbs 21:3 is powerful: God delights more in obedience than in sacrifice. And, in case there was any doubt, Proverbs 21:4 tells us that haughty eyes, a proud heart, and evil actions are all sin.”

Once again he warns about keeping your mouth shut: Proverbs 21:23 – “Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble.”
The last verse of these three chapters is one we should all remember: “The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but the victory belongs top the Lord.”

Tomorrow, it’s Proverbs 22 – 24.

A Busy Day

Today was a very busy day. My cousin Richard and I went to Tampa and had lunch with my sister-in-law Esther, my niece Jane, her husband David, and my great nephews James and Brad. My nephew Steven arrived about the time we cut the belated birthday cake for Brad.

smIMG_0508

The Birthday Cake

 

smIMG_0509

My Cousin Richard

 

smIMG_0510

My GREAT-nephew James

smIMG_0511

Esther, Jane and James

smIMG_0512

My Great-nephew Brad

smIMG_0514  

The birthday boy blowing out the candles

Somehow, I missed getting a picture of David and Steven, but the rest turned out pretty well. Also, the breeze was blowing so hard we were not able to light the candles.

We had great food and great fun.

After we finished lunch, Richard and I went over to Largo to visit his cousin Vivienne, her mother Irene, Viv’s two sons and their families, including Abner, a dog rescued from New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. On Sunday, Viv’s husband Bill of 46 years passed away. Viv is having a lot of health problems, but she seems to be doing well. It’s always good to get to together with the people we love.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment