Sunday, April 8, 2012

I Samuel 1 – 3 and Partly Done

I Samuel 1 – 3

How often in Scripture does the story revolve around a woman who wants to have a child and can not. Remember the steps Rachel took in an attempt to have a child. Hannah was in the same position. Her husband Elkanah also had two wives and one of them (Peninnah) had children. Hannah was saddened because she could not. Worse than that, Peninnah taunted her because of it. And, this went on year after year.

Didn’t you love Elkanah’s reaction when he saw how upset Hannah was? Don’t be downhearted because you don’t have children. After all, “you have me – isn’t that better than having ten sons?”

.I really think Hannah knew the Lord. She prayed to Him, she trusted Him and it could well be that Samuel’s early upbringing by his mother made all of the difference in his spiritual life. It’s highly unlikely that Eli, whose two sons were so out of control, could have brought up Samuel any better than he did his own.

And how delightful that, after giving Samuel to the Lord, Hannah was able to have three more sons and two daughters. Hannah didn’t completely abandon Samuel, either. Every year, she brought him a coat. He knew she loved him.

Samuel “grew in favor with the Lord and with the people.” Eli shouldn’t have been surprised when the Lord spoke to Samuel and told him He was going to carry out the threats the man of God had warned him about earlier.

Samuel was confirmed as a prophet of the Lord because “the Lord was with him, and everything Samuel said proved to be reliable.” The Lord gave His messages to Samuel, not to Eli.

Tomorrow, it’s I Samuel 4 – 8.

Partly Done

My sister-in-law asked me to make her a case for her Kindle. Today, except for coloring it, I finished the back of it. I have also carved the design and stamped the front. Now I just have to color it. The front is taking a while because I first made a practice piece. Before I color the final piece, I’m going to colro the practice piece.

Here is a picture of the back:

smIMG_0442

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment