Monday, April 16, 2012

I Samuel 25 – 27 and Another Holster

I Samuel 25 – 27

We’re back to the story in I Samuel again. I must admit that David’s practice of polygamy has always bothered me. Before these events, if you will recall, David had married Saul’s daughter, Michal. Here, as a result of Nabal’s actions and death, we see David marrying Nabal’s widow, Abigail. If it weren’t for the fact that the text also mentions David’s marriage to Ahinoam of Jezreel, I would think David married Abigail because Saul had given Michal, David’s wife, to Palti from Gallim. The name Ahinoam probably seems familiar, because she is mentioned as Saul’s wife (I Samuel 14). I don’t think they are the same person; Saul’s wife is referred to as Ahinoam, the daughter of Ahimaaz while David’s is referred to as Ahinoam of Jezreel.

Wasn’t David quite the prankster? Earlier, he had snipped a piece off Saul’s robe while Saul was relieving himself in the cave where David and his men were hiding. In the story today, he and Abishai slip into Saul’s camp and take his spear and a jug of water from where Saul and Abner were sleeping. Of course, Abishai tried to get David to kill Saul, but David was unwilling to kill God’s anointed.

In any case, David berates Abner for not adequately protecting Saul and confronts Saul once again about chasing him from his home. Saul confesses his sin, says he’s been a fool and that he will no longer try to kill David, but I don’t think David believed him. He’s kind of like some of our leaders today, who say one thing and do another.

David and his 600 men and their families (including Ahinoam and Abigail) move into the Gath, where king Achish allows them to take the town of Ziklag. They lived there for a year and one-half, raiding the Geshurites, the Girzites, and the Amalekites, all of the while telling Achish that they had been fighting the Jerahmeelites and the Kenites in the land of Judah. Since David always killed everyone he attacked, no one could set Achish straight; he was of the impression that the Israelites now hated David because he kept attacking them. Little did he know.

Tomorrow, it’s Psalm 56, 120, 140, 141, and 142.

Another Holster

My brother Ray asked me to make him a cross-draw holster with the 82nd Airborne wings on it.  I’ve drawn the design, cut out the leather, and carved and stamped it. Hopefully his pistol is like the one I have. If not, I’ll just do it again. Here are a couple of pictures of my progress so far:

smIMG_0461 

smIMG_0462

As is always the case, I’m sure I can improve it if I make it again. As they say, practice makes perfect. Of course, I’ll never in my lifetime practice enough to be perfect.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment