Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Psalm 56, 120, 140, 141, and 142 and More on the Holster

Psalm 56, 120, 140, 141, and 142

First, I would like to apologize for mixing up a couple of readings. Yesterday, we covered I Samuel 25 – 27 and should have covered Psalm 56, 120, 140, 141, and 142. Today, we should have covered I Samuel 25 – 27. One of the hardest things since I’ve been retired is keeping track of what day it is, but in this case, I think it won’t detract from our study. I’ll try to be more careful in the future.

We could probably spend a lifetime just learning the truths of Psalm 56. David admits to feeling fear, but states so clearly, “But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you.” I expect we all have fears, many of which are based on real circumstances. David’s fears certainly were. David’s faith was such that he praised God for what He promised. He may have been troubled about his fears. After all, why should he be afraid, he asked; he trusts in God. And he says, “What can mere mortals do to me?”

Were you encouraged by David’s words in verse 8, “You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.” Imagine that! Though it may seem like God is ignoring your sorrows, your pain, your tears, He is not. God Himself is collecting our tears in a bottle. Think about what that means.

Psalm 120 records David’s plea for God to rescue him. He speaks of how it hurt him to live in distant Kedar, among people who hate peace. Have you ever been away from home for a long time and longed to be back there, just to relax and live in peace? If so, I’m sure you can understand a bit where David is coming from.

This same theme is repeated in Psalm 140, though in this case, David also refers to the Lord giving justice to the poor. As for Psalm 141, we could probably all start our days with a prayer based on verses 3 – 4: “Take control of what I say, O Lord, and guard my lips. Don’t let me drift toward evil or take part in acts of wickedness. Don’t let me share in the delicacies of those who do wrong.” The idea of drifting toward evil or taking part in acts of wickedness is thought-provoking. I don’t think most people just jump right into evil. It’s more of a gradual action. David was concerned that he not do that.

Remember David’s analogy about falling into a hole you dig yourself? Here he talks about the wicked falling into their own nets, but letting him escape.

Psalm 142 paints a real picture of the stress David was under. No wonder he was “very low.” And his stress was based on real circumstances. People were, indeed, setting traps for him. But, David prayed to God. He knew God as a place of refuge. God was what he wanted. Being with God was what he desired.

Tomorrow, it’s Psalm 17, 35, 54, and 63.

More on the Holster

Last night, I finished lacing the holster for my brother. I think it looks quite nice all laced up. The only problem is that is is just a bit smaller than I expected. I guess I didn’t take into account the thickness of the leather and how it would affect the size. I can get my Ruger 22 into it but not like it should be. It’s also a bit lighter shade than I wanted it.

Here’s a picture of it all finished:

smIMG_0464

Now, this holster certainly works, but I’ve already cut out a bigger one, have trace the design pattern on it and have carved the picture. I’ll probably finish the stamping tonight and assemble it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment