Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Exodus 4 – 6 and The Grey

Exodus 4 – 6

Moses, like many of us, offers up excuses for why he can’t do as God asks and bring the children of Israel out of Eqypt. God gives him some pretty astounding proof: a staff that turns into a snake, a hand turning leprous, then non-leprous and pouring water from the Nile that becomes blood. I don’t know about you, but I think those three things would have convinced me that Moses was there to lead me out.

When Moses told God how he was not good with words, I love that God says, “Who makes a person’s mouth?”

Moses just didn’t want to do it and he finally tells God to send someone else.

The Lord became angry with Moses. Wouldn’t you have also? But God doesn’t let Moses out of it. He calls on Aaron to be the spokesman to the people. Moses will tell Aaron what to say.

The story about the Lord confronting Moses and wanting to kill him on the way to Egypt is a bit puzzling to me. Evidently, Moses’s wife Zipporah was aware of it and knew what the problem was. Apparently, Moses had never circumcised Gershom; Zipporah did it and the Lord stopped trying to kill Moses.

Moses and Aaron meet with the elders to tell them the Lord appointed them to bring them out of Egypt. I was very moved by what happened: “When they (the eldersw) heard that the Lord was concerned about them and had seen their misery, they bowed down and worshiped.”

Pharaoh is not impressed by Moses and Aaron’s request to “let my people go” even though they only asked to take a three-day journey where they could offer sacrifice. In fact, Pharaoh was so unimpressed he increased the labor of the Israelites by making them get their own straw to mix with the bricks and to make the same daily quota as before. The Israelites are not very happy with Moses and Aaron as a result and who can blame them? Moses protests to the Lord about it.

Tomorrow, it’s Exodus 7 – 9.

The Grey

This morning, I debated with myself about which movie I wanted to see: The Grey or One for the Money for the third time. I didn’t make the right choice. I went to see The Grey. I didn’t like the ending. There was a lot of “blood and guts,” which I kind of expected, but a little more graphic than I like.

Before I went to the theater, I voted and then visited my storage space, hoping to get it completely cleared out. I didn’t. During the course of loading a huge storage box on the cart to take to the truck, I dropped said box on my big toe. I now have a huge bruise on my toe knuckle and walking is not the easiest.

I guess I’ll have to take it a little easy for the next couple of days, hopefully, not much longer than that.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment