Saturday, January 7, 2012

Job 14 – 16 -- Arise, My Soul, Arise

Today was beautiful here in Florida. In fact, for a little while, I had to have my A/C on. It’s supposed to go down to 45 tonight, but that’s not too bad. I don’t really have to go out early at all.

I purchased a small laptop stand today so I can better use my computer. The only problem with it is that it is at an approximate 30 degree angle but there is nothing to keep the laptop from sliding off. I have no idea who engineered this, but I’ll have to add something at the bottom of the desk part to keep it from sliding onto the floor. The stand has wheels, so I can move it around a bit.

Job 14 – 16

From Job’s words in chapter 14, it is evident that Job himself thinks God is angry with him and wishes God would hide him in the grave and forget about him until God’s anger has passed. Then, of course, good old Eliphaz speaks his mind, calling Job a windbag. We should have such friends: NOT!

Job is certainly not afraid to speak his mind to his “friends,”  accusing them of blowing hot air. He again expresses his need for someone to mediate between him and God.

Aren’t you glad you have a mediator, someone to take your case before God? One of my favorite hymns is Arise, My Soul, Arise by Charles Wesley. It is made so clear that not only does Christ stand before the Father to mediate in our favor, but to intercede and to bear the guilt and punishment for our sin.

Arise, my soul, arise; shake off thy guilty fears;
The bleeding sacrifice in my behalf appears:
Before the throne my surety stands,
Before the throne my surety stands,
My name is written on His hands.

He ever lives above, for me to intercede;
His all redeeming love, His precious blood, to plead:
His blood atoned for all our race,
His blood atoned for all our race,
And sprinkles now the throne of grace.

Five bleeding wounds He bears; received on Calvary;
They pour effectual prayers; they strongly plead for me:
'Forgive him, O forgive,' they cry,
'Forgive him, O forgive,' they cry,
'Nor let that ransomed sinner die!'

The Father hears Him pray, His dear anointed One;
He cannot turn away, the presence of His Son;
His Spirit answers to the blood,
His Spirit answers to the blood,
And tells me I am born of God.

My God is reconciled; His pardoning voice I hear;
He owns me for His child; I can no longer fear:
With confidence I now draw nigh,
With confidence I now draw nigh,
And 'Father, Abba, Father,' cry.

To hear the music, go to:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/a/r/arisemys.htm

The lyrics are visible if you page down a bit. Sorry, I couldn’t find the traditional music and lyrics together. I did stumble on a more modern version which I thought was awful, but I’m sure there are some who find it pleasing.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Thanks for posting one of Charles Wesley's greatest hymns. I'm not sure what you mean by the traditional music. The Cyber hymnal uses the tune Lenox, which is found in many hymn books. (There is another fairly common tune, but it's more difficult to identify, since it has no name, and no known composer.)

    I did want to encourage you, though, to link to the REAL Cyber Hymnal. The version you are using was taken (without permission) from the originator, Dick Adams. He created the Cyber Hymn in 1996, and for many years I've assisted him in building it. But one day this other person simply copied it all, and claimed it as his own!

    You can see the difference in the two immediately. The pirated version has advertising on every page. The real Cyber Hymnal has none. Dick Adams had to change his URL after the theft, but he copyrighted the name "Cyber Hymnal." Below is where Wesley's hymn is found. It would be great if you could link to it. God bless.

    http://hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/r/i/arisemys.htm

    ReplyDelete