Sunday, January 8, 2012

Job 17 – 20

Poor old Job is really depressed: “No, my hope will go down with me to the grave. We will rest together in the dust.” Job 17:16

Thankfully, one of his dear friends is there to set him straight. Oops, I got that wrong didn’t I. We, in our wisdom, often look for someone to blame when something happens to someone we know and/or care about. Bildad the Shuhite is no exception. He has Job’s problems all figured out: Job sinned greatly and is now being punished.

Job’s answer is interesting. He is now asserting that God has wronged him, that his friends have forsaken him. He begs for the mercy of his friends.

And then, with tremendous insight and faith, Job talks about the bodily resurrection: “But, as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last. And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God! I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes…” Job 19:25-26. Wow!

Zophar tells Job why he is convinced that Job’s wickedness has led to his losses and his ill health. He points to history. While I believe that the end of the wicked will be trouble and that God will give them a belly full of trouble, I don’t think it’s logical that if someone has trouble, it’s because God is seeking to punish them.

Tomorrow, we’ll be reading Job 21 – 23

Tried and True Meatloaf

Today, I experimented making meatloaf in my crock pot. Sounds strange, doesn’t it. I’m not especially fond of meatloaf, but wanted to try making it in my crock pot.

It was surprisingly good. Of course, I didn’t exactly follow the recipe exactly. I added 2 minced jalapenos and used quick cooking oatmeal instead of the bread crumbs it called for. There was a lot of grease on top of the meat loaf, but it didn’t burn like I thought it might. Of course it took 2 cups of milk  so that probably helped and I cooked it on slow.

Last night, my Kindle Fire locked up. I couldn’t get the screen to change. The time stayed the same. It wouldn’t even turn off. After a while though, I think the battery ran out. I plugged it in and everything has been working fine ever since. I can’t believe how much I have come to rely on my Kindle Fire already. Between that and my cell p0hone, to say nothing of my computer, I am at the mercy of my electronics.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment