Monday, November 2, 2009

Checklists

The more I read and learn about camping, the more convinced I am that I am going to need a lot of checklists to keep track of everything that has to be or should be done – especially considering how faulty my memory is sometimes.

I’ll be adjusting these checklists as I go out the first several times. Eventually, the plan is to laminate most of them and use an erasable marker so I can re-use them multiple times. Of course, some maintenance checklists will be permanent so I can keep track of mileages, etc.

I have created an Arrivals Checklist, some points of which may not make much sense to you.

DONE TO DO
   
  Pick Site - Prefer Pull-Through
   
  Empty?
  Fairly level?
  No too-low, overhanging branches?
  Proper orientation for solar panels?
  Power OK on campground box, if available?
  Check for position of sewer drain, if available
   
  Park Travel Trailer
   
  Set out positional cones
  Position trailer
  Check for side-to-side level
  Position leveling blocks for side-to-side level, if necessary
  Put trailer in position
  Check level gauges for side-to-side level
  Re-position if necessary
  Fine tune levels
  Chock trailer wheels
  Place wood under landing gear and extend landing gear to correct height
  Disconnect emergency break-away cable
  Unplug umbilical from truck receptacle
  Unhook hitch
  Drive away from trailer
  Adjust front to back level
  Pick up positional cones and store
   
   
  Set Up
  Unlock trailer and extend steps
  Plug in electrical cord, if hook-up is available
  Hook up water hose and pressure regulator, if water available
  Hook up sewer hose, if hook-up is available
  Turn down stabilizer jacks
  Set up solar panel and generator
  Lower awning
  Set out grill, charcoal, chairs, etc.
  Set up DirecTV antenna
  Set up Internet Satellite Antenna (if I get one)

 

Since I will mostly travel by myself and since I have ZERO experience in backing up a trailer (Mark was so good at this, I didn’t ever have to learn), I have included the use of positional cones. I figure they will make things easier since I won’t have a spotter most of the time. To be sure, I intend to practice backing until I can do it with little trouble.

I’m also in the process of putting together a list of staples and food supplies, which I will fine tune the first few times out.

Today, I bought some canned chicken at Sam’s – needs no refrigeration – and will try to develop some recipes that I like and that will be easy to make. 

I also bought something called Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers (2 Ziti & Meat Sauce and 2 Rotini & Zesty Marinara Sauce in a single box). This may be a possibility for a quick microwave meal, though I wouldn’t buy too many since they create a lot of garbage.

Needless to say, I’ll be using canned tuna, canned salmon, and maybe even canned bacon – though if I recall correctly, this particular product is somewhat greasy. My cousin pressure cans beef, but I don’t think I’ll be that ambitious – I may be able to purchase some canned beef.

‘Til next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment