Thursday, November 19, 2009

More on Solar Power

In order to more effectively use my solar panel/generator, I really need the power cord to be about 15 feet longer. In this way, I’ll be able to power my computer, monitor, and some of my computer peripherals (though probably not my laser printer) without using my Tampa Electric hookup – that is, powering it for free (if you don’t count the initial cost of the solar equipment).

Not being sure if it was a good idea to add this much length to the cord that runs between the solar panel (it’s already 50 feet) and generator, I contacted the seller and was told it was no problem.

Today, if Mom is in the mood for a ride (she almost always is), I’m going to Ace Hardware to see if they have the necessary connectors (they are 3-pronged locking plugs) for the 12/3 extension cord – I’m going to make a 25-foot long extension cord.

By the way, I have a little device called a Kill-A-Watt Monitor which you plug into the electrical outlet. Then, after you plug in your computer or monitor or other electrical device, it will tell you:

  • Volts
  • Amps
  • Watts
  • Vrms/Arms (I haven’t figured out what this is yet)
  • Frequency in Hertz
  • Power Factor (I haven’t figured out what this is yet either)
  • KWH (kilowatt hours)
  • Timer (length of time making up the kilowatt hours used)

This morning, I hooked my desktop computer into the Kill-A-Watt Monitor and got the following readings:

  • Volts – 117.5
  • Amps – 1.80
  • Watts - 140
  • Vrms/Arms - 197
  • Frequency in Hertz – 59.9
  • Power Factor - .68
  • KWH - .12
  • Timer – in 57 minutes

If this ridiculous Cap and Trade bill in Congress becomes law, you all may want to get a Solar Generator. Electricity bills are expected to double if it passes, to say nothing of gas prices, etc.

Reduce your carbon footprint while you can!

More importantly, call or write your Senators and Congressional Representatives today…don’t let them cripple the economy even further with this monstrosity of a bill.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment