Saturday, November 14, 2009

Wow! Do I Ever LOVE Solar Power!!!

Today, as planned, I hooked up my solar panel to my generator. It was a perfect day for it – sunny with few clouds.

In order to catch the earliest sun, I had to put the panel across the driveway from the house and run the 50 foot cord through the front window – what a job figuring out how to get the window up – and plug it into the already fully charged generator.

At this point, the generator is still in the kitchen.

To see how well the solar panel worked in keeping the generator charged before hooking it up temporarily-permanently, I hooked up the kitchen TV and satellite receiver to the generator. In order to do this, I had to move the generator over on the stove so the power cords would reach.

Guess what! The generator was able to keep up with the drain on the battery and hold a full charge for the whole time it was daylight.

The only problem I’m having at this point is making the wheels on the solar panel go around. There are screws that lock the wheels. When you loosen these screws, the wheels are supposed to turn. They don’t.

Tomorrow morning, I’m going to take a closer look at the wheels. Today, I just wanted to get it going and was able to use my hand-truck to move the panel. It’s probably light enough that I could carry it, but why bother when I have the means to move it more easily?

I’ll repeat: I JUST LOVE SOLAR POWER!!!

Till next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment