Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pantry List Addendum; Solar Panel and Generator

I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t have to wait until I move into the camper to test my Pantry List methodology.

In view of that, I purchased a number of plastic containers for storing the various items in the pantry. I then washed them all and went through the bookshelf where I currently keep my pantry items and put the items I could into the plastic storage containers.

This picture shows the containers filled with the various items – what a bounty!

Plastic Containers Spread 2

But, does it ever save space. All of this stuff fit on less than 2 shelves – see!

Plastic Containers Put Away 2

Isn’t that incredible? All of those items that were on the table are pictured here.

Solar Panel and Generator

Yesterday, I finally got my solar panel and generator via Fed Ex. I’m going to use it at the house for now to save on electricity.

The generator was in a big box marked DURACEL, which for some reason I found most comforting. Its peak AC output power is 1800 watts with a continuous output power of 1440 watts. Surge capacity is 2880 watts.

The start-up procedures for the generator itself involve quite a number of steps:

1. Plug the A/C cord into your house electricity and charge the generator for 48 hours.

2 After the 3 days, the generator must be unplugged from the outlet and a 100 watt lamp or other such load until the generator shuts off or begins to beep.

3. Remove the load

4. Plug in the generator to A/C again and recharge for approximately 15 hours.

5. Run the batteries down again until the unit shuts itself off or begins to beep.

6. Repeating steps 4 and 5 will make the batteries (there are 3 in the unit) ready for normal use.

At this point, the solar panel may be plugged into the generator, but performance should improve as the battery is discharged and recharged.

The generator is a compact unit (19.25” x 8.25” x 11.25”) weighing 51.2 pounds.

Generator 1

At this size, once I move the generator to the travel trailer, I plan to store the generator in the closet next to the main bed. It has plenty of room since the space requirement around the unit is 3 inches on each side.

The solar panel, which has a 50-foot power cord and supplies power at a maximum of 80 watts, is on wheels and tilts 45 degrees to horizontal for Winter and 30 degrees to horizontal for Summer. The wheels lock down for ease of use.

Solar Panel 2

The generator can be charged by the solar panel while en route, if the panel is secured properly and is at the right angle for the sun. It doesn’t have be directly pointing to the sun, but the best charging is done when it is.

If I hadn’t had such good luck with the solar panel keeping a good charge on my travel trailer battery, I probably wouldn’t have bought this, but just imagine -- as long as the sun shines, the generator will be charging and NO NEED FOR GAS and NO WORRIES ABOUT GETTING IT STARTED and NO NOISE. and NO FUMES! To say nothing of a reduction in my electric bill since I plan to run my main TV, Satellite DVR Receiver, and Computer using this. Of course, this is assuming those items don’t exceed the ability of the generator. The only restriction is I can’t plug a surge-protected power strip into the generator since it already has surge protection and is a battery back-up.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I should have lots of time to work out the kinks before getting on the road.

Till next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment