Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thinking and Shopping

Up very early today (4 am) washing bed linens and Mom – you can imagine why. Mom goes to the foot doctor today – the doctor checks her feet and clips her toenails. She’s getting increasingly difficult to communicate with and is seeing, talking with, and handing things to people who are not there – at least, I can’t see them. Our inability to communicate with each other is a constant source of frustration for both of us.

As mentioned in my last post, I’ve been working on some checklists, the most recent of which is my Pantry Checklist. I think I have a pretty good handle on what I want to take with me, though I have probably left out some critical items and have over-estimated what I need to keep on hand.

See what you think. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Item Container/Size Where
     
Flour Plastic-5 pounds  
Flour, Wheat Plastic-5 pounds  
Sugar Plastic-2 pounds  
Splenda Plastic-1 pound  
Honey Plastic-2 pounds  
Corn Meal Plastic-1 pound  
Oatmeal Plastic-1 pound  
Light Brown Sugar Plastic-1 pound  
Premium Saltines Metal-4 sleeves  
Cereal-Cheerios Plastic-14 oz  
Cereal-Kashi Plastic-14 oz  
Cocoa Powder Small Container  
Hot Cocoa Mix 12 Packets  
Ham Jerky    
Beef Jerky    
Peanut Butter (Fresh Ground) Plastic-4 oz R
Jelly Assorted Packets R
Maple Syrup (from Cracker Barrel) Little Bottles  
Tuna, Canned 2 cans  
Chicken Broth 24 cans  
Dried Fruit Plastic-1 pound  
Almonds Plastic-8 oz  
Pecans Plastic-8 oz  
Cashews Can-8 oz  
Walnuts Plastic-4 oz  
Tea, Green Plastic-180 tea bags  
Non-Fat Dry Milk Plastic-2 pounds  
Yeast 3 Envelopes R
Seeds for Sprouting Plastic-2 pounds R
Salmon 1 small can  
Chicken, Canned 5 cans  
Beans, Canned 2 cans  
Bacon, Thick 1 pound R
Olive Oil 1 quart bottle  
Veg Oil 1 quart bottle  
Salt, Kosher 1 pound  
Salt, Table 1 pound  
Peppercorns Plastic-8 oz  
Spices:    
  Bay Leaves    
  Cayenne    
  Chili Powder    
  Cinnamon    
  Cloves, Whole    
  Cloves, Ground    
  Crushed Red pepper    
  Cumin    
  Dried Mustard    
  Italian Seasoning    
  Nutmeg    
  Paprika    
  Poultry Seasoning    
Vanilla 1 small bottle  
Olives, Green 1 small jar R
Olives, Black 1 can R
Hot Sauce 1 small bottle  
Worcestershire Sauce 1 small bottle  
Eggs 1 dozen R
Baking Soda Small package  
Baking Powder Small package  
Vinegar, Cider 1 quart  
Vinegar, White 1 8-oz bottle  
Vinegar, Balsamic 1 8-oz bottle  
Onions 3 pound bag R
Potatos 5 pound bag R
Garlic 1 head R
Aluminum Foil 1 roll  
Zip Lock Bags, Sandwich 1 box  
Zip Lock Bags, Quart 1 box  
Zip Lock Bags, Gallon 1 box  
Glad Wrap 1 roll  
Wax Paper 1 roll  
Jalapenos 1 quart F
Green Peppers 1 quart F
Hot Dogs 1 pound F
Brats 1 pound F
Italian Sausage 1 pound F
Yellow Mustard 1 bottle  
Popcorn 2 pounds  
Mayonnaise 1 quart R
Bisquick 1 small box  
Salsa 6 Small containers  
Tomatos, Canned 4 cans  
Tomatos, Mexican Style Stewed 2 cans  
Tomato Paste 2 small cans  
Sun-Dried Tomatos 1/2 pound  
Rice, Brown 8 oz  
Cheese, Cheddar 1 pound R
Cheese, Cream 8 oz R
Cream of Mushroom Soup 2 cans  
Dill Pickles 1 jar R
Mandarin Oranges 1 small can  
Celery 1 bunch R
Crumbled Pre-Cooked Bacon in a Bag 1 bag R
Hamburger, Bulk 2 pounds, packaged in 4 oz patties F
     
     
Swiffer Wet Jet 1  
Wet Jet Liquid 3 bottles  
Bleach 1 quart  
ERA 2 gallons  

 

Most of you will probably think 24 cans of Chicken Broth is too much, but I use it for everything, even when I make corn meal in the morning or make soup or cook pasta. I use it in place of water whenever I think it will add flavor.

Yesterday, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond to see if they had a handy way to store spices, but was disappointed in all of the selections. I did find some plastic containers for storage of some of the items on the Pantry List marked “Plastic.” I’m trying to get all square or rectangular containers for better use of the available space.

Incidentally, I plan to post the Pantry List on the travel trailer refrigerator and use it to keep track of what I need to buy the next time I’m in a grocery store. I’ll probably laminate the list and use an erasable marker as with many of the other checklists.

Since I don’t intend to use glass plates because of their easy breakability and weight, I’m researching what to use. I’ve seen Melamine, but wasn’t there a problem with chemicals from that? Has anyone had any experience with bamboo – another real possibility. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, Mom’s waking up again.

‘Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment