Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Far-Away Memorial

As many of you may know, in order to downsize, I'm selling a lot of my "stuff" on eBay.

Between 1991 and 1993, Mark and I collected First-Day Covers from the Postal Commemorative Society. Every little while, an envelope and supporting documentation would arrive from wherever a new stamp was issued. The envelope had Mark's name and our address in Brandon and was postmarked on the first day of issue at the place where the stamp was issued.

Yesterday, October 20, 2009, I sold a set of four such First-Day Covers on Space Exploration to the Mt. John Observatory in New Zealand. They will be using it as part of a display. To quote them:

"As this is the International Year of Astronomy we have been actively reviewing ways in which to improve and enhance our outreach programs and one of our main goals is to develop a philatelic collection dedicated to space, astronomy, and satellites through which we can engage and excite visitors. These covers would be a perfect match! We've put in a "best offer" which we hope you will look upon favorably. "

Most of you who knew Mark probably knew of his intense interest in astronomy. He had two telescopes and belonged to the astronomy club at the Museum of Science and Industry. It seems fitting that his name will be on display in an astronomy exhibit, even as the name of the recipent on envelopes with Space Exploration stamps.

Sometime, I'd like to travel to New Zealand and see it, but I have the whole US to cover first. Besides, how would I get my travel trailer to New Zealand? :)

In any case, Chris from the Mt. John Observatory has promised me some pictures of the display once they have completed it. I'll share them with you as soon as I get them.

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment