Friday, October 16, 2009

Weather Hinders Progress

I can't believe it's been nine days since I worked on my travel trailer (TT). Though I have lots of time to get it ready, I want to make more progress than that.

Since my mother requires 24-7 care, it's very difficult to allot time for trailer prep. She does have a caregiver 3 times each week for 4 hours (Monday 1-5 P.M., Wednesday 9:15 A.M - 1:15 P.M, and Friday 9:15 A.M - 1:15 P.M. During that time, I have to run errands, including getting groceries, etc. and then set aside time for preparing my TT. The weather here in Thonotosassa has been so hot (in the 90's), it's been impossible to spend a lot of time working on it.

This weekend, we're supposed to see a break in the hot weather. Today, it's been raining off and on and I met some friends for breakfast. On Monday, I have to take my car in to complete the service I started Tuesday -- Mom pitched such a fit, they really moved us out of there fast, but I don't recommend that method for speeding up the service on your car. She used to be okay in such situations, but now is loud, swears, cries, demands to go home, etc.

In any case, the plan for next Wednesday morning is to:
  • Remove the battery
  • Remove the two propane tanks
  • Paint the A-frame section of the TT after making sure the rust is mostly gone (I worked on that before)
  • Wait for the paint to dry
  • Re-install the two propane tanks
  • Re-install the battery

I think my next project in the TT will be to modify the double bed into a single bed that can be turned back into a double. There is hardly enough floor space in the TT for a comfy chair and since I will mostly be traveling by myself, I won't need the double bed unless some of my family or friends visit.

I've been reading a lot of books and articles about camping in general and boondocking in particular. I am seriously considering boondocking for 1/2 to 3/4 of my time. For those who are unfamiliar with boondocking, it is camping without hookups -- no water, electric or sewer - you rely on the amenities in your TT itself. I will probably upgrade my TT with solar panels to handle the electricity - the one I've already installed does a great job. An extra water tank and a "Blue Boy" (portable tank for shifting the contents of the holding tanks without having to break down your campsite) will extend the time I can stay set up without hookups.

Of course, decisions like this don't have to be made right now, but it's fun to consider it.

Well, time to get going. Til next time.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment