Monday, October 26, 2009

Measurements

Today, for a couple of hours, in the very hot weather, I measured the main bedroom. I can't believe it took so long.

I had to first take off everything I had placed on the bed, and then take the mattress off the double+ bed support (a piece of hinged plywood over a storage area. This was a difficult job, because the mattress was awkward and heavy. It also smelled of smoke and will be dumped as soon as I figure out where to take it. Right now, it's in the kitchen. I won't be putting it back in the bedroom.


The following pictures show the bedroom as it looks now.


There is a closet in the right corner, a 2-door cabinet over the bed, and a bed where the top lifts up to reveal the water tank and a storage area. From the open door, you can see there is a small shelf in the closet.

None of the pictures show very well that that the wall in the back of the closet and the wall behind the bed both slope toward the back of the travel trailer (the bedroom is on the front of the travel trailer on the right as you come in the door).


There are decorative mirrors on the cabinet doors over the bed.



The top of the bed support is hinged, the cover of which is raised to reveal the 30-gallon water tank and a good-sized storage area. One of the outside storage areas reaches through the bootom of the closet on the right into this area.























The top is heavy, but there are some metal tubes that assist in raising the top. My only problem now is that I can't figure out how to get them back down.

Reluctantly, I have resolved that there is no way I can modify the bed to take up less room since the water tank is right in the way. I may well be able to add another tank in the storage area on the right -- it all depends on whether the trailer will support the additional weight (at 8 pounds per gallon, that's 240 pounds, if my math is correct)

I do believe, however, that all of the clothes I wear on a regular basis will fit in that single closet to the right of the bed. I'll just need to add some shelves so I can keep stuff separated-- I don't hang up too many clothes, but there's plenty of room if I need it. There's plenty of room in the cabinets over the bed for the stuff I don't wear too often.





I'd love to hear from anyone who might have suggestions about releasing those rods so I can get the bed down. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who might have suggestions for a better way to hold them up. I almost think a couple of plain old wooden sticks could be used as props; it just wouldn't assist in raising the plywood.

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment