Saturday, May 26, 2012

Psalm 131, 138, 139, 143, and 145 and A Checkbook Cover

Psalm 131, 138, 139, 143, and 145

Verse 3 of Psalm 131 gives some excellent advice to Israel and to the rest of us: “O Israel, put your hope in the Lord – now and always.

In Psalm 138, we are once again reminded of God’s unfailing love and faithfulness. Did you notice that God’s promises are backed up by the honor of God’s name? What better backing could you get than that? It’s better than FDIC backing up your bank account.

Did you not the contrast in verse 6 where we are told, “Though the Lord is great, he cares for the humble, but he keeps his distance from the proud.” In reality, we may as well be humble since we ourselves have done nothing of which we can be proud. How wonderful that God’s faithful love endures forever.

Do you think God doesn’t pay attention to you? Psalm 139 will quickly disabuse you of that. God knows what’s inside of us because he examines our hearts. He keeps track of what we are doing – of when we sit down and when we stand up. He even knows our thoughts. He watches us wherever we are – when we travel and when we rest at home. Not only does he know everything we do, but every word before we say it. He not only goes before us, but also follows us. It doesn’t matter where we go – he is there. Anywhere we go, his hand will guide us and his strength will support us.

And, it doesn’t matter if it is dark or light; we cannot hide from God.

If you ever had any thought that abortion might be okay, Psalm 139:13-16 should make you think twice: “You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.” God is involved in our lives from the time we are conceived. Can you imagine how many people will have to answer for ripping out God’s workmanship?

Psalm 139:23 - 24 contains words we should be constantly praying: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.”

Psalm 143 once again shows David’s reliance on God’s unfailing love, faithfulness and righteousness. He was not afraid to lay before the Lord his insecurities, his depression, his hopes and his fears.

Psalm 145 shows that it was easy for David to praise the Lord; he just rehearsed God’s goodness and all that he does for us:

  • God is great
  • He is worthy of praise
  • He is so great it can’t be measured
  • His majestic, glorious splendor and wonderful miracles
  • His awe-inspiring deeds
  • His wonderful goodness
  • His righteousness
  • His mercy and compassion
  • He is slow to anger and filled with unfailing love
  • He is good to everyone
  • He showers compassion on all his creation
  • His kingdom is glorious
  • His kingdom is everlasting
  • He rules throughout all generations
  • He ALWAYS keeps his promises
  • He is gracious in all he does
  • He helps the fallen
  • He lifts those bent beneath their loads
  • He gives us food as we need it
  • He satisfies the hunger and thirst of every living thing
  • He is righteous in everything he does
  • He is filled with kindness
  • He is close to all who call on him
  • He grants the desires of those who fear him
  • He hears their cries for help and rescues them
  • He protects all those who love him
  • He destroys the wicked

By the time you get done rehearsing the evidence of the goodness of God, how could you not praise him and bless his holy name forever and ever?

Tomorrow, it’s I Chronicles 26 – 29 (that will finish I Chronicles) and Psalm 127.

A Checkbook Cover

Today, I finished a checkbook cover for my niece Jane and her husband David Watt. They just love dachshunds.

smIMG_0503

I sure hope they like it.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment