Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Day of Dichotomy

Yesterday was both good and bad. Good, in the sense that my brother Jeff came to visit and bad in that Mom seems to be going downhill fast.

After a fairly good breakfast, Mom spent most of the morning in bed asleep and most of the rest of the day and night sitting in a chair with eyes barely open. She was unresponsive and didn’t seem to be aware of what was going on around her. She finally did indicate she wanted to go to bed, where she stayed until this morning. She can no longer stand up or even help me transfer her from one place to another.

This morning, I wheeled her into the living room and helped her into her recliner. She seemed more alert than yesterday, but not much. She again ate a pretty good breakfast, which I fed her. Getting her to drink was difficult because she has forgotten how to swallow through a straw. After breakfast, she stayed in the living room for awhile, but mostly slept. She again indicated she wanted to go to bed and has been there ever since.

She didn’t acknowledge Jeff when he said goodbye and pretty much slept the rest of the day away. When not sleeping, she restlessly moves her hands, clutching her blanket, rubbing her head and face. Occasionally she makes some unintelligible noise, but mostly she’s quiet.

My cousin Richard arrived today about 1/2 hour after my brother left. Mom was sleeping. Richard and I had a nice chat, a delicious spaghetti dinner (if I do say so myself), and spent a quiet afternoon together. When Dickie went to leave, Mom again did not respond.

Tomorrow, if Mom is the same, I will probably call Hospice to let them know of the change in her general condition. Someone from Right at Home will be here tomorrow afternoon, but I plan to mostly stay near home. I have to pressure-wash my mobile home, but will probably also go to Publix while I can.

I appreciate your prayers and support more than words can ever say.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment