Sunday, February 21, 2010

Peace of Mind

Yesterday, after Mom threw (as opposed to dropped) my Amazon Kindle on the floor, I finally decided to try what someone suggested: use a sheet and confine Mom to her chair.

I had been in the kitchen cleaning out the refrigerator, making applesauce, rinsing aluminum cans and doing dishes. I thought Mom was sitting in her green chair, but should have known better; she decided to explore. When I heard the thud, I was afraid she had fallen, but instead, she had thrown my Kindle on the floor. (Thankfully, it was unharmed.)

I don’t know what she has against books. This week, she ripped the cover off my crossword puzzle book, as she has others of mine and hers.

I have to admit I was more than a little scared because I thought she had fallen and somewhat angry since I had repeatedly asked her to stay in her chair. In that moment, I decided to try what I had been putting off: confining her to her chair.

Within three minutes, she was sitting in her green chair, secured by a queen-sized sheet. Surprisingly, she didn’t seem to mind a bit. And I had complete peace of mind as I finished my work in the kitchen.

She didn’t try to get out and didn’t get angry about not being able to. I’m not sure she has figured out the reason she can’t get up. The sheet is folded so it’s wide enough to not cut into her and I don’t tie it very tight. In fact, it’s not even knotted; I just tuck it in the back of the chair.

When i realized how well this works, I can’t tell you what a difference it made in my stress level and general peace of mind. Now, I can take a shower or leave the room without having to listen for the sound of her body hitting the floor.

Why did I wait so long?

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment