Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hospice Nurse Checks Out Mom

This morning, when Mom did not seem to be any better, I called Hospice and her nurse Michelle came out. She checked Mom’s blood pressure – it was normal. She listened to her heart – it was fluttering all over the place, but her O2 Saturation was 96%. She listened to her lungs – they seemed mostly clear. She thought Mom might have had another small stroke, since the change in her physical condition was so dramatic.

Michelle also offered 24-hour nursing care, but I think that was more for my benefit than for Mom’s. There’s not really much a nurse can do. Now that Mom is pretty much confined to bed, a Home Health Aide will be coming on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays to bathe Mom and change her clothes. This will be enormous help and there will now be only one day when I’ll be completely by myself for the whole day. It will be great to have people who see Mom to discuss her condition with. I’m always afraid I’m not doing something I should or that I’m doing something I shouldn’t.

Mom’s not in any pain and seems much more mellow – she may just be too exhausted to get agitated.

This whole episode is giving me some idea of what it will be like to not have Mom here. I think it will be a difficult transition. Even in her questionable mental state, at least she was someone to communicate with. Not a day goes by that she doesn’t bring a smile to my face. I’ll miss that.

Thanks again for your prayers.

Until next time…

1 comment:

  1. I'm Praying for you, Kathy, that God will be your constant companion through this. I know He already is.

    ReplyDelete