Saturday, November 24, 2012

Galatians 1 - 3

Paul states the truth right up front: “Jesus gave his life for our sins, just as God our Father planned, in order to rescue us from this evil world in which we live.” However, he is obviously concerned that the Galatian believers “are turning away so soon from God by following a different way that pretends to be the Good News.”

Paul tells the believers that he received his message by direct revelation from Jesus Christ. He speaks of some who tried to make Gentile believers be circumcised. He even talks of confronting Peter about following the old system of the law. Then, he makes the marvelous statement: “My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who love me and gave himself for me. I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if by keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.” Hallelujah!

I think he seals the deal when he refers to “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.” And “…Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law.”

Tomorrow, we’ll read Galatians 4 - 6.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment