Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I Thessalonians and II Thessalonians and My Truck and Camper

I Thessalonians and II Thessalonians

Both letters to the Thessalonians were from Paul, Silas and Timothy. Both letters were written to those in Thessalonica who belong to God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul speaks of their faithful work, their loving deeds and the enduring hope they have because of our Lord Jesus Christ. Paul recognizes that they received the message of Christ with joy in spite of the fact that they have suffered as a result. The “word of the Lord is ringing out from you to people everywhere.”

Paul reminds the Thessalonians of how he and the others worked when they were there with them and how they were his pride and joy. Timothy had been sent to visit Thessalonica to strengthen them and encourage them in their faith. He brought back to Paul a good report about their faith and love.

I love Paul’s advice to them in I Thessalonians 4:11 – 12: “Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working your hands, just as we instructed you before. Then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live, and you will not need to depend on others.”

We learn a lot about the Lord’s return and are supposed to encourage each other with that truth. He urges them to live in a way that pleases the Lord.

“Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever.” You can’t beat that, except maybe with “Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances.”

Apparently, someone was trying to convince the Thessalonians that the day of the Lord had already begun. Paul uses that opportunity to explain a little more about the events that will occur before the day of the Lord. It’s hard to realize that Christians in that did not have our New Testament – we should be so thankful for the fact that we can access the written Word.

Tomorrow, we’ll read Acts 18:19 – 19:41.

My Truck and Camper

Today, I sold my pickup truck and camper. It was truly an answer to prayer. God is so good to me – much more so than I deserve. Now, I have to find something to drive. My plan is to rent some different cars to see which I like best. I have some rules I’ll probably go by:

  • No GM or Chrysler products since they took money from our government and haven’t paid it back.
  • Something that gets excellent gas mileage
  • Something I can get in and out of easily.
  • Something NOT yellow or orange.

Now, that shouldn’t be too hard, should it?

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment