Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Finally, Here

Yesterday, about 1:15 pm, I finally arrived at my cousin’s house in Corning, NY. For the most part, the trip from Winchester, VA to Corning was uneventful. I drove through rain for a few hours and there was quite a bit of construction the last few hours. Some areas were accessible through narrow lanes. In fact, vehicles over 11 ft were not permitted to travel in those lanes. Fortunately, my camper is around 9 ft wide.

I don’t know what I would have done if my cousin Elwyn hadn’t been home when I arrived. It was raining and slippery. The camper has never been on such hills as the ones in Hornby and my great PVC pipe I had lashed to the back bumper scraped the driveway. My spare tire did also.

Elwyn and my cousin Kevin worked so hard to put the camper where it is and to level it. They both did a fantastic job. I may have to kidnap them and stow them in the back seat of the pick-up so they’ll be available when needed.

I slept in my camper for the first time last night. My new pillow-top mattress is extremely comfortable. The temperature hovered in the cool to comfortable range. I slept so well.

Hindsight, so they say, is always 20-20. My great idea about putting plexi-glass on the shelves didn’t work as well as I hoped. Today, my cousin and I went to Home Depot where they cut me some 3/8” plywood strips. I think (and hope and pray) this will work much better.

The weather here is great, though this afternoon it got fairly hot??? – 86 – what a relief from the high 90’s we’ve been experiencing in Florida. And, at least here, it gets pretty cool at night.

My cousin Dickie arrived today from Florida while Ethelyn and I were going to the doctor, Home Depot and WalMart. I can’t go anywhere without visiting WalMart. How about you?

I got some red, white, and blue washcloths to go with my towels, some pillowcases for my 4 brand-new pillows and some t-shirts. And it’s only the first full day here!

Tomorrow, we’re going to Joanne Fabric to get some foam for the small twin bed in the camper. The mattress I thought I ordered was really a mattress pad. As I told everyone today: “I used to have a mind like a steel trap and now it’s like a sieve.”

Well, just wanted everyone to know I’m doing okay.

Until next time…

P.S. Did you hear about the 5.8 earthquake some people here felt today. Nobody in this household did, but friends and neighbors noticed it. I guess it was centered in Toronto. Aren’t you glad you weren’t at the top of the CN Tower in Toronto? You can already feel the sway without an earthquake. Just imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment