Thursday, June 24, 2010

What Beautiful Weather

This year, in Florida, we went from freezing cold temperature to broiling, unseasonably hot weather with hardly any spring. It’s been so hot there, but New York is different. It gets fairly warm most days and then cools off during the night. It sure makes for comfortable sleeping

Today, I chose and mostly organized the pictures for my mother’s memorial service. While I was doing that and doing the same for my cousin Alger, I must admit that there were times when I became incredibly sad, but for the most part, the pictures bring back great memories. They help me remember the smiles and expressions, the great times we had and the generosity of both of them.

Last night, Elwyn, Ethelyn, Dickie and I attended a birthday dinner at Pierri’s Central Restaurant in Painted Post. There were probably about 40 people there to celebrate a rather belated birthday for my mom’s friend Irene Miller.

Over the last several years, I have come to know and appreciate Irene. On May 31, 2010, she marked her 90th birthday. I was so pleased to be able to take part in this celebration. Her daughter Vivienne and Vivienne’s husband Bill, who live in Florida were also there. Funny how we have to come to New York to see people who live close by in Florida.

Irene was completely surprised by the party. Dinner was ordered off the menu. I had a 12-oz NY (what else would you eat here?) strip steak with spaghetti and a tossed salad. I brought home half the steak and half the spaghetti. Everything was delicious. A lot of people had the fish fry, which looked very appetizing, but since they also fry a lot of shrimp and scallops and clams, I thought it prudent to have the steak.

When we got home, it was still daylight and we were able to see that a bear had tipped over a garbage can, had ruined two finch feeders, including bending over one of the poles holding a feeder and had run off with a basket holding a new piece of suet.

Fortunately, the bear was gone when we got home, but I still had to make my way to the camper at 11 pm when it was time to go to bed. I had my Maglight but I doubt it would have helped me fend off a bear.

I had to cover up last night because it got down pretty cold. It’s such a pleasure to sleep in cooler temps.

I’m reading Janet Evanovich’s new book (Sizzlin’ Sixteen) and enjoying immensely though I think I’m driving everyone crazy laughing out loud as I read. It’s a good thing I’m not listening to it on tape while I travel or I’d probably drive off the road.

Well, we’re going to visit my cousin George right now.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment