Thursday, June 3, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect; OR, That’s What They Say

If you read my blog yesterday, you know that I took my camper to Lazy Days for detailing inside and out this morning. It took about 2 1/2 – 3 hours.

After I paid the detailers, I stopped by the service manager’s office and he checked out the way I had hooked up the camper. He pronounced it perfect. In response to a question about how the sway bar looked, he also warned my that the sway bar should be loosened whenever the camper is backed up.

On the way home, I stopped at the Truckstops of America for gas. I didn’t want my first time getting gas with the camper attached to be on my way north. Everything went fine.

I then went home … where the fun began.

You would not believe what a perfect job I did backing up the camper. The camper went into the campsite perfectly. I watched carefully to make sure I didn’t hit the picnic table on the one side or the sewer hookup on the other. When I thought I was where I should be, I got out to make sure I didn’t have to back up any further.

When I got to the back of the camper, I noticed water coming off the roof. Since the detailers hadn’t touched the roof, I was very puzzled. Then I thought I might have a water leak, that a pipe had burst. How naive!

As I’m sure you’ve guessed by now, I didn’t have to back up any further; in fact, as you can see by the pictures, I went a trifle too far.

I really thought this kind of gusher only happened in the movies.

Camper Gusher-1-1 Camper Gusher-2-1 Camper Gusher-4-1

I immediately ran into my house and called the manager; never even thought about the cell phone I had on my person. Byron came over and turned off the water line for this section. Fortunately, it only affects seasonal camping sites and there’s no one there at this time of year.

After you’ve picked yourself up off the floor from laughing at my “perfect parking, ” I hope you’ll notice the great job I did backing it in. It’s right where I wanted it, at least from what I could see.

If things like this keep happening, I may have to start charging you for enjoying laughing at the “Kathy Katastrophes.” :)

The worst part of this whole thing is that I have three lighted triangle markers to help me park the camper where it should go and to make sure I don’t do things like this. To my great chagrin, they are still in the packages they came in, resting harmlessly and uselessly in the back seat of my pickup truck.

After I got the truck unhitched from my very wet camper, I then drove over to to St. Petersburg to have lunch with my cousin Richard at Quaker Steak and Lube, but smells much better. The restaurant looks like an old Quaker State gas station. Inside there are cars, boats and motorcycles hanging from the ceiling and all kinds of vehicle . One day while a bunch of us were there, we got to sit under a ‘57 Corvette. There are several in Pennsylvania and a handful of others in four or five other states. If you should ever get a chance, be sure to stop in.

It’s always fun to be with Dickie. Today, he had brought some OLD NYS license plates to see if the restaurant wanted to hang them on the wall. They were so old and deteriorated that they decided not to use them. Along with the license plates (NY requires a front and back plate) he also had the miniature license plate NY provided for you to put on your key chain. In that way, if you lost your keys, whoever found them could drop them in the mailbox and NYS would get them back to you.

The food was deliciou and there was enough of my lunch left over to bring home for tonight. In fact, I think I hear it calling my name right now.

Until next time…

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious!! You need another camera on the back of the camper!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I didn't think of that. I'm going to contact the company that made my back-up camera to see if that is possible or if there is another camera that might use a different frequency with another screen.

    ReplyDelete