Wednesday, June 9, 2010

In Everything Give Thanks

Today, about 7:15 am, the guys from Buddy’s Roofing arrived and started working on my roof. By noon, when they took a break, they had removed the old roof. As they uncovered the roof, they discovered that whoever had previously replaced the roof, hadn’t replaced it at all, but had instead just “roofed over” the old leaking roof. Apparently, they left the rotting underlay there. They estimated the need to replace about 10-12 pieces of plywood.

I’ve been trying to get the leaky roof fixed for some time, but the roofer I originally called tried a bunch of stuff that didn’t work. Well, then came Angie’s list. Through them, I learned about Buddy’s Roofing over in Dover right near here. He said the roof should be replaced. As you can see from the pictures, it’s pretty evident that he was right.

Roof Rot-1-1

The above picture is deceptive. By the time I got my camera out, they had already placed a piece of plywood over the hole. The roof literally caved in over the back door. The plaque above the door says, “In Everything Give Thanks.” In this case it was so appropriate—nobody was standing on the roof or under it when it caved in. And I had been doing laundry. In fact there’s a load in the dryer behind all of the dirt shown below.

Roof Rot-2-1 

The above picture is of the pile of rubble (my roof) in front of my washer and dryer. The dark stuff is the insulation. They brought in a big shovel and push broom to get rid of it. What you can’t see at all are the thousands of ants that were crawling everywhere. After the application of Ant & Roach spray and Wasp & Hornet spray, a couple of crew members cleaned up the mess quite efficiently.  The ceiling may be a bit difficult to replace since it has a textured paint job.

When Buddy, the owner of the roofing company, came to check on the hole in the ceiling, i was talking with him, backed up and fell. I hit my head on a small filing cabinet so hard I put a dent in the drawer. Boy, am I ever glad that drawer caved in. I guess I have a new hobby: falling on my head.

He said that they will fix the ceiling. In fact, Paul the job supervisor is already putting up a piece of drywall. Buddy will finish the patch tomorrow.

I’m afraid I didn’t get much done on my camper today, but I did start selecting clothing, towels, sheets, mattress covers, washcloths, etc. to take out to the camper when I can. I did four loads of laundry and worked more on archiving my tapes. Even without a lot of physical labor, I still feel as if I’ve done some serious work today. I’ve certainly been active and busy.

You know, I can’t believe it but Paul told me they will finish the roof today and there will be peace and quiet tomorrow. Well, except for the drywall – but no nailing required for the finish work.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment