Sunday, June 6, 2010

PVC Pipes, Fire Extinguisher and CO Detector

This morning, I started working about 7:30 am. My first job was to glue together the PVC pipe I plan to use to hold my sewer hose. The following are some photos on how I built and installed this PVC pipe.

PVC Pipe Build-11-1

The above shows the cracks and rust inside the back bumper which necessitated finding another place to store the sewer hose. I’m sure you can imagine the damage such sharp bits of metal would do to a plastic sewer hose after removing it and putting it back several times.

 

 PVC Pipe Build-02-1

As you can see, the small hacksaw, the only one I could find in my tool box, didn’t allow enough room to make any kind of cut in a 4-inch pipe. My new hacksaw did a great job of cutting the pipe. The neat thing about it is that you can switch to a different blade and use it to cut branches like a bow saw. Alton Brown of the Food Network would really appreciate this multi-tasker.

Though the picture doesn’t show it very well, the saw also has a guard so you don’t scrub your hand on whatever you’re cutting.

 

PVC Pipe Build-03-1 

The end caps, coupler and pipe strap.

    PVC Pipe Build-06-1 

The pipe all glued together and waiting the prerequisite 2 hours before installing it.

PVC Pipe Build-13-1

By the time everything was glued together, this pipe was very heavy. I put some blocks under it to lift it off the ground, but it wasn’t nearly high enough. I was able to put my foot between the block and the pipe so I could hold the pipe where I wanted it while I installed the bolts, washers and nuts.

 

PVC Pipe Build-15-1

In this picture and the next two, you can see how great this project turned out – at least, for now. It’s good and tight right now.  I’ll need to remember to check it once in a while to make sure it stays that way.  

PVC Pipe Build-12-1

The above picture doesn’t show it, but I also added some pipe strap over the coupler shown here. 

PVC Pipe Build-14-1

I know it looks like the pipe is pretty low to the ground, but the bottom of the spare tire is even closer, so I shouldn’t have to worry as long as I’m careful going over speed bumps. Also, the ground is rising toward the back right here.

LP Leak Monitor Beeping

While I was waiting for the glue on the pipe to cure, I decided to install my new fire extinguisher and also my Carbon Monoxide monitor. Unfortunately, when I opened the door to the camper, I heard a beep. It was coming from my LP Leak Monitor. I didn’t smell anything, but went to the front of the camper and turned off the LP tanks.

After a few minutes, even with door and a couple of windows open, the beeping continued. The LP Leak Monitor is installed down near the floor since the LP gas is heavier than air. This makes it difficult for an old lady who’s just order new glasses to see the printing on the front. It looked like it said “Low Volume Alarm.”

After checking my camper manual, I discovered that my eyes and glasses had let me down: what it said was “Low Voltage Alarm.” I went and got my truck, left it running and plugged in the camper to charge the battery. The beeping stopped.

Since I’m parked in a campsite, I should have been able to plug in the camper to shore power, but some idiot knocked the thing over the other day and I don’t know if it is ready to use yet. :)

The Fire Extinguisher

In any case, after the LP Leak Monitor crisis was resolved, I went to work on installing the bracket for the fire extinguisher. It would have been too easy for the brackets from the old and new to be interchangeable or for the screws from old to be in the same place as the screws from the new. I was able to use the top screw hole, secure the new bracket with that, then drill the second (lower) hole and put in the second screw.

However, as you can see from the picture, my only problem is that I can’t get the straps to fasten; they seem too short.

Fire Extinguisher Install-2-1

After about half an hour struggling to do this in the heat (it was 95 when I finally got in the house), I decided to give up and try again later.  Perhaps I’ll be able to fashion some kind of extender from the old one.

Carbon Monoxide Monitor

My next project was installing my Carbon Monoxide Monitor. Since the furnace and the range both use propane, it seemed a good idea to have one of these.

For installation, the Kidde company supplied 3 screws and some red things you put in the wall to put the screws into. This didn’t seem very practical for purposes of a bouncing-all-over-the-place travel trailer. Since an alternative to this type of installation is to place it on a counter or table top, I decided that until I could discover a way to securely attach it, I would just prop it up while I’m occupying the camper and put it in a drawer when I’m traveling with it.

As you can see, it sits up very nicely when the camper isn’t moving. I just have to add taking care of it to my checklist of things to do before I hook up and leave.

CO Monitor-3-1

Tomorrow, I was supposed to go to Disney with Esther, but we’re changing it to Thursday so now I have to decide what to work on tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I decide.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment