Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Home Again, Home Again. Jiggety-Jig

Today, after getting 9 packages ready to send to eBay customers and after visiting Lenscrafters for an eye exam and to pick out new glasses, I received a call that my camper was ready at Camping World. I took it over there and waited a few hours until they installed the sway bar. They gave me a brief lesson on how to hitch it up, after which I went in to pay. Driving it home was a breeze.

Well, too bad you all missed my finally successful efforts (it only took about 45 minutes) to back the camper into one of the RV sites that are right behind my house. In fact, the following is an email I got from my neighbor across the street:

DID WE SEE YOU PRACTICING BACKING UP YOUR TRAILER...OR WERE YOU JUST FOOLING AROUND?”

Obviously, my efforts did not go unnoticed. Of course I was at it so long, it’s a wonder everyone in the park didn’t watch me making a fool of myself. Once I got it where I wanted it, I was able to  disengage my truck from the camper. Funny, but I didn’t get frustrated at my efforts, just counted it practice and tried to pay attention to where the camper went when I steered this way or that. I backed it in successfully a couple of times, but it wasn’t just exactly where I wanted it.

Tomorrow, I have to get the camper ready for Lazy Days RV to clean the inside and outside. It is apparently a policy of Camping World to put the parts they replace into your camper. I have to remove all of those before Thursday so they won’t have to work around them while they’re cleaning.

On Thursday afternoon, I’ll once again park the camper behind my mobile home and then load it up with all of the bags and bags of stuff I just can’t do without. Then, on Friday, the plan is to haul the camper to a nearby campground and make sure I have everything I need before heading up north.

Next time I have to back up the camper, I hope all of my “unplanned” practice will make a difference.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment