Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wheat & Milled Flax Seed Bread

My morning started early: by 6 am, I was stirring my sourdough starter I’ve been keeping in the refrigerator. I was afraid I had ruined it, but apparently I didn’t. Since it smelled sour (like sourdough bread), I put 1 1/2 cups of it in a large bowl, added 1 1/2 c A.P. flour, 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup of milled flax seed and mixed up the whole thing. I laid it aside in an oiled bowl and covered it with a dish towel. It took about 3 hours, but it finally more than doubled in size. I pushed it down, kneaded it a bit then formed a loaf on my lightly floured dining room table and covered it with a towel.

I had pre-heated my oven (complete with seasoned pizza stone) so all that was left after the loaf doubled was to mist the top of the loaf, cut an ‘X’ in the top and put it in the oven for about an hour. It turned out to be crunchy and delicious. I think that flax seed added some real flavor to it.

In the meantime, I fried up some bacon, hop sausage, hamburger, green peppers, red peppers, onions, and mushrooms to make a base for my Spanish rice and maybe, later, some chili or goulash. I stowed half of it in the freezer and made Spanish rice from the rest.

Whew! Was I ever tired out – actually, not as much as I thought I would be.

Right now, I’m watching the Colgate Comedy Hour on Mercury Theater on GBTV (it’s on every weekday at 1pm). Of course, it’s in black and white. Mercury Arts must own a lot of the old shows. Even the commercials are old – there was one for Fab just a minute or so ago. A Halo shampoo commercial featured a very young Jayne Meadows. I never would have known her if she hadn’t said who she was.

This show stars Abbott and Costello and George Raft. Even a very young Satchmo Armstrong was on the show. Being able to watch this kind of thing is almost worth the cost of GBTV all by itself.

I heard on he radio today that a lot of the protestors in Occupy whatever… are being paid by the Working Families Party as much as $20 per hour to protest. There are ads on the Internet offering to pay folks to do this. Some spontaneous movement, huh?

Have you seen video of the protestors where the leader says 3 or 4 words and the crowd repeats them. I could only stand about 2 minutes of it. The Occupy Atlanta crowd wouldn’t even let Civil Rights veteran John Lewis speak to them. Talk about useful idiots and mind-numbed robots. It is truly scary.

Remember that this movement is a global movement and to the rest of the world. You’ve heard the protestors saying “We are the 99%”, and they are attacking the 1% so-called rich people. But, remember: WE IN THE U.S.A. ARE “THE ONE PERCENT” TO THE REST OF THE WORLD.

Have you seen the violence suggested in the signs? (Probably not in the mainstream media.) References to killing parents and cannibalism – violence starts with such rhetoric. Truly scary.

Sorry to be so long-winded.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment