Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hard-Headed – I have Proof!

This morning, I put together the boards and Lexan that I’ll use on the shelves in my kitchen cabinet so stuff won’t fall off the right side and so the shelves can’t move to the right. See the pictures below:

Shelf Right Wall-1 Shelf Right Wall-2

Taking two pictures was probably overkill, but this way you can see my splendid handiwork. It went together pretty easily. I first fastened the 1x2’s to the 1x12 using two 2 1/2-inch screws on each side. I then mounted the Lexan over the gap that was left.

I was kind of worried that I would have to take down the shelves in order to get this masterpiece into position, but when I took this over to the camper, I found the piece would NOT fit because of another instance of NOT paying attention (see yesterday’s blog for a previous instance). Unfortunately, when I measured the height of the cabinet, I had measured from ceiling to the top of the board I put in the bottom. What I failed to take into account was the piece of metal rail attached to the ceiling which provides a place to use hangers for clothing. Needless to say, my handily crafted solution was a little bit too tall.

After I took it home and adjusted it, I took it back over to the camper and was able to slide it between the shelves and the wall without taking the shelves apart. If my camera battery hadn’t needed to be charged, I would have taken a picture for you. In any case, it’s in the camper where it’s supposed to go and will function as intended.

By the time I got that done, it was time to shower and change so I could visit my cousin Richard over in St. Petersburg. It was there that I acquired proof of my hard-headedness (is that a word?).

I took a couple of Christmas cacti over to him – his friend Roger wanted them. One of these cacti is older than I am and my mother has babied it for years. The other cactus was given to her by my Uncle Paul – she treasured this also because of that. The cacti took a beating this winter during that horribly cold spell we had, but I just didn’t think of them because it occurred while Mom was in the hospital.

After taking them out and closing the cover on my pickup truck, I caught my shorts pant-leg on the hitch ball and, after some incredibly talented dance steps, literally fell straight backwards, landing hard on my head. I didn’t see stars, but I was considerably shaken. And, my head bled a lot.

Dickie got me a towel with some ice and I held that on my head for a few minutes. I then wrapped my hair on top of my head to cover all of the blood, put on a hat (the one from Disney that says “You say Grumpy like it’s a bad thing.”) and we went to a British pub called the Horse and Jockey. They have fish and chips that are as good as almost any I have ever had. I couldn’t let a little blood stand in the way of the meal I had been anticipating all day. I took 3 Ibuprofen and still haven’t had a headache. As hard as I hit and as much blood as there was, it’s surprising I didn’t have a concussion.

Living alone, I try to be extra careful at home to make sure I don’t have to say, “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.” Who would hear me? I guess I’ll have to be extra careful outside of the house also. I hope that’s the last time I fall like that or in any other way I could imagine.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment