Friday, April 16, 2010

A Hitch in My Plan

Today, very early, I set out for Weld-Rite to have a hitch installed on my truck. This was an absolutely impossible task since my truck already had a hitch!

Imagine my chagrin. I knew there was a hitch receiver and I had told the guy this on the phone when I made my appointment. What I really needed was the weight distribution arms, the hitch ball unit, and the brake controller. They installed these in short order and explained how everything worked. Of course, I immediately forgot almost everything they told me on my way home.

However, all is not lost. I do have the literature that explains how to operate these things. What I may not have is the muscle and agility to hook these very heavy bars to the camper. They seem to weigh a ton. but probably more like 30-40 pounds each.

This weekend, once I get the ants out from under the A-frame of the trailer, I’m going to give the whole thing a try. My friend Karen has agreed to help me. She’ll at least get a good laugh out of my trying to back up the truck so the hitch ball lines up with the trailer. And, once I get it hooked up (IF I can) and pull it out, how on earth am I going to back it up into the same place? It’s a little intimidating, but I’m determined to do it. Let’s face it: if I can’t my full-time RVing will be more than a little difficult.

Hope you got a smile out of this episode. I sure did. Just think of the adventures ahead.

Until next time…

1 comment: