Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Railings vs Retirement – Today the Railings Won

Yesterday, I spoke to you about the joys of retirement and bragged about how I could put off important work because I was retired. Well, this morning, I could stand it no longer. I finally finished my railings, i.e., finished them except for the four posts.  As you can see from the following picture: I have repaired the last failing railing (like the rhyme?).

Railing Almost Done-1

I tore down and replaced the two short boards with the ones shown here. This should be much stronger because I made room for the outer, reinforcement board to be nailed into the post on the left.

Tomorrow, I’ll work on the posts – at least, that’s the plan now. Who knows, tomorrow retirement may win again.

By the way, I went to Camping World today and made an appointment to take my camper in next week. I won't be able to put off hooking up the darned thing any longer. As most of you who know me are aware, I’ve been finding one excuse after another to keep from having to do this.

My appointment is for 8:30am Tuesday morning, but I plan on hauling the travel trailer over there on Sunday. Camping World will be doing what is known as a 45-point check. They check the thing from top to bottom and make sure everything is working, including electric, A/C, LP, range, heater, water heater, water tanks etc for leaks, black water and grey water tanks, tires, brakes, wheel bearings and who knows what else. I’m sure they’ll find some stuff to fix.

I’m also having two fans installed: an exhaust fan to replace the vent in the bathroom and an exhaust/intake fan to replace the vent in the living area.

I’ve asked them also to install a tire monitoring system, but they didn’t have one in stock – the service agent said they might have one in by Tuesday. If not, I’ll probably order one on-line and then have it installed when it comes in.

I look forward to getting this done so I can go camping a few times before I leave for New York.

On another note, check out the pictures below:

Cactus Flowers-1-1

The above picture is of the cacti next to my driveway. The blooms, which appeared for the first time since I have lived here, are almost a foot tall. These look really impressive until you compare them with the ones in my neighbor’s yard. Of course, as impressive as these are, it also means there are a lot more spiky leaves to grab and poke you as you walk by.

Cactus Flowers-2-1

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment