Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Securing My Shelves

Today, I went to Lowe’s and picked up an 8-foot 1x12 that I hope will help me secure the shelves in my camper’s kitchen cabinet. I really need to get this done before I try to move the trailer.

K Cabinet Shelves 1

As you can see from the picture, the shelves almost, but not quite, fill the closet.

The first thing I plan to do is cut the 1x12 to the width of the closet, then put holes in the board where the front legs can fit in. I will also cut another piece for the back wall with holes for both back legs. I’ll have to rip 3/4” off the board since the closet is only 23 1/4” deep.

Since the left and back edges of the shelves are flush with the wall, I plan to put some pieces of velcro on the wall and corresponding pieces on the edge of the shelves. I think 1-2” pieces of velcro spaced about 4-5” apart will do the job, since it really won’t be able to go anywhere once the 1x12’s are in place.

After that, I need to consider how to keep stuff on the shelves from sliding off the right side and the front. I think I might glue a panel on the right side and maybe cut some 4-5” high pieces of Lexan I can wedge in the front sections of all but the top shelf. I could use wood paneling, but I can see through the Lexan. If anyone has any ideas about this, I’d love to hear them.

Also, tomorrow, my cousin Richard is coming over and go to Camping World with me to look at trailer hitches. Once I’ve picked out the hitch and had it installed, I can make an appointment to take the camper over to have them check out all of the systems.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment