Saturday, January 23, 2010

Absolutely Unbelievable!!!

Mom spent last night singing, talking, reciting poetry, calling out to me as Iona, Lana, Ruth, Kenny, Paul, etc. etc. I think she was “sundowning” most of the night. She did this from the safety of her hospital bed, safe within the railings on each side.

About 5 am she woke wanting to go to the bathroom. She was a little late, so we washed her up and did some laundry: her sheets and blankets and the nightgown she was wearing.

She ate a little breakfast, then napped awhile. After lunch, we decided to lie down for a nap. Needless to say, I was exhausted and welcomed the opportunity to sleep. Mom was a little restless and, after I drifted off, she managed to get out of her bed by skooching off the end.  Imagine my surprise and terror when I woke and saw the empty bed. She did get to the living room without falling, though I don’t know how. Absolutely unbelievable!

She seems to be having difficult time walking and even standing up today, but I bet she still has the determination to get out of bed if she wants. Tonight, I’ll put some furniture up against the end of the bed. In this way, I’ll hear her when she knocks it over to get out of bed.

I have found one thing she will eat without fail – sugar free ice cream – she’ll eat about 2 scoops without complaint. I intend to give her some every night to try to get her calorie intake up.

Well, it’s time to try to get her into bed again and I hope to sleep tonight for more than a few minutes at a time.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment