Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Marathon Mother – A Feat of Feet

You’ll never guess what my Mom did today – she walked all of the way from her bedroom through the house and to her green rocking chair. Any of you who have been here will know what a feat that is – between 25 and 30 feet. And, there were lots of witnesses.

Yes, I was holding her hands to guide her and make sure she didn’t fall and my niece Colleen was walking behind her to help catch her if she fell, but her little feet ate up the carpet all of that way.

I think she wore herself out though since she’s been sleeping since about 2 pm. It’s now about 6 pm. I may be in for a sleepless night, but it will be worth it. Her determination and desire to be independent are amazing.

Famous last words about her sleeping. She just woke up so I went to get her up – she wanted to ride into the living room. I took care of her, fed her, and she rode into the living room to sit in her rocker.

Her fasting sugars the last two days have been 86 and except for last night when she went to bed early, she has taken all of her medicine.

She did complain a little today about her back hurting, but we looked and couldn’t see any problem. She hasn’t complained since she got up this last time.

I never dreamed she would progress so quickly. Thanks again for your prayers and support.

It was so great to see my niece and 3 of her children – Wayne, Alexus and Johnny – all grown up. Not everyone will make a journey of 11 hours to see their grandmother/great grandmother who doesn’t even know who they are. Do I have a great family or what?

Tomorrow they all go home, but I’m expecting my other brother (Jeff) this coming week.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment