Wednesday, January 6, 2010

An Update on Mom

This morning, before leaving for the hospital, Mom’s doctor called and wanted me to stop by his office before visiting Mom. After Mom signed her DNR form many years ago, she gave it to the doctor, but they couldn’t find it, so I signed one as her surrogate since she so clearly made her wishes known several years ago when she was in full possession of her faculties.

After stopping there, I went to the hospital. When I went in the room, Mom just beamed … she was so happy to see me. Well, I understand that because I was very happy to see her too – especially looking so much better.

I spent the day with her (until 6:30 pm or so). She was much more alert and responsive than the previous day. Her fever was gone and her atrial fibrillation was mostly under control.

I spent most of the day sitting by her bedside holding her hand. She chattered away, but I very rarely understood what she was saying.

As at home, it’s difficult to get her to eat. I don’t know if I mentioned it or not, but she now weighs 88 pounds. This is a far cry from her normal 130 to 140 pounds of a few years ago.

They now have her on food she should be able to chew and eat. But even if she’s able to chew it, doesn’t mean she will like it. And, she is very stubborn about what she will and will NOT eat. This evening, she really like the cherry cheesecake. (I tasted it and, while it wasn’t as good as my sister-in-law, Margie’s, it was still pretty good. I understand why she didn’t mind eating it.

For some reason, the doctor stopped the medicine that helps keep her calm. Just before I left this  evening, she was beginning to get agitated and I don’t envy the staff there trying to keep her calmed down and in bed. I warned them about the bottom sides of the bed which someone had left down. She probably has enough strength today to climb out of bed and run down the hallway.

Well, it’s getting pretty late and I’d better get to bed before I fall asleep here at the computer.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment