Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mom‘s Move Upstairs

Late this afternoon, the hospital moved Mom from the Cardiac Unit on the 3rd floor (room 329) to a regular room on the 6th floor (room 618).

She slept most of the morning and then really woke up once Maria from P.T. came in. We worked with Mom to get her to stand up. You know, she’s been in bed since Tuesday. She had a tough time just standing by the bed holding on to a walker. I think they would have had her sit in a chair except that they were getting ready to move her upstairs.

One of the biggest problems right now is her eating: she just doesn’t like the junk they bring her. And I have to say that I wouldn’t eat it either, nor would whoever made it. I’ve taken 3 bottles of Dan-Activ in every day so she is at least getting that. She has drunk quite a bit of iced tea and this morning, she remembered again how to drink through a straw so she drank most of her orange juice. I’ve got to tell you, though, that the the majority of the pureed food is disgusting. They have even made the mashed potatoes and gravy inedible somehow.

But she really wants to go home. Several times today, she said, “Let’s get the hell out of her.” as only she can. Funny how easy it is to understand any of her cursing. Almost everything else is unintelligible.

My brother Ray arrives tonight from Tennessee. He just retired so he didn’t have to take off work to come for a visit. I hope he brought lots of reading material for when we’re at the hospital because Mom isn’t much of a conversationalist anymore.

Tomorrow, I also hope to see her primary care physician. There are rumors that she may be going home soon. I sure hope so, even if she can’t get up and walk around like she did before going into the hospital.

Sorry to go on and on but this blog is a good way to keep family and friends up-to-date, especially since my home phone is still acting up. Apparently, my internet connection is not bothered as much by the noisy line.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment