Thursday, January 21, 2010

Failure to Thrive

Today, the Hospice nurse Michelle and the Hospice social worker Ann came to visit. While here, they weighed Mom. As you may remember, Mom weighed 88 pounds when she went into the hospital; today she only weighed 84 pounds. Since she’s now walking, even though she needs some help, they had to change her diagnosis from Alzheimers/Dementia to Failure to Thrive.

They are also prescribing some medicine for her depression; I think I’ve mentioned that she cries a lot. They said it should also increase her appetite as well as calm her down some. She might even sleep better, but it could also keep her awake – just what I need!

She’s sleeping right now and has been since they finished weighing her (probably around noon). She lay awake all night long talking, crying, singing, reciting some kind of poetry, rattling the railing on her bed, and trying to get out. I was so exhausted, I left her in bed even though she occasionally wanted to get out. I was able to catch a few winks.

Michelle said that she’s not surprised Mom is walking since I was so adamant that we would get her up and about. That was rather gratifying, but the credit really goes to the determination, stubbornness, and independence of Mom. Even in her weakened state and with her failure to thrive, she still manages to amaze me.

On Another Note:

I meant to mention yesterday how sad I was to hear of the passing of Robert B. Parker. He is a favorite author of mine. You may know him as the creator of the detective Spenser in the old TV show Spenser for Hire (taken from a character in books Parker wrote – I don’t remember watching the series, but the books are terrific). He also created the character Jesse Stone played by Tom Selleck in several Sunday night movies. My other favorite authors should take note that they need to write even faster.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment