Monday, May 17, 2010

Back to Normal, Whatever That Is

I really meant to post this on Sunday, but never got around to it.

Saturday did not go according to plan AT ALL. I woke up and discovered I needed to stay close to my good friend, Commode.

Because of this, I had to call Camping World and arrange to pick up my camper today – they were very understanding. I also was unable to go hear the group my sister-in-law Esther sings in. They sang at the First Baptist Church in Tampa and I was really looking forward to going. Ah well, maybe next time.

On Sunday, feeling like a new person, albeit an empty one, I went to AMC Regency to see Just Wright with Queen Latifah. Perhaps my previous day had affected me more than I thought. I got to the theater early (about 9:30) to see the 10 am show. Unfortunately, the 10 o’clock show didn’t start until 11:25. I had apparently misread the time. Maybe I wasn’t as recovered as I thought. Needless to say, I got home a little later than I thought I would.

I have accomplished one thing over the last several days. I went through all of my software and tried to load it on my new notebook PC. I tossed a bunch out. I also put all of my movie DVDs in notebooks and logged everything in an Access file I created to track such things. Before tossing the DVD covers, I scanned the front and back and any pertinent accompanying paperwork.

Even though I’ve sold more than 100 videos, I still kept a lot:

  • All of the Indiana Jones movies
  • All of the Die Hard movies
  • All of the Harry Potter movies
  • Mary Poppins – perhaps, my favorite movie of all time
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Spaceballs
  • Sherlock Holmes’ Smarter Brother – perhaps this is really my favorite
  • All of the Police Academy movies
  • The first, second, and fourth seasons of Murder, She Wrote
  • Wild America
  • A number of Good Eats DVDs (with Alton Brown of the Food Network)
  • The Pacifier with Vin Diesel
  • A Lawrence Welk Family Christmas
  • Zorro, the Gay Blade
  • Rat Race
  • The Incredibles
  • A number of DVDs on Guns, Survival, etc.
  • and many, many more

Altogether, I have 331 entries in my notebooks Access file.

Today, after having my backup camera installed on my F-150 at Best Buy, I went to Camping World to pick up my camper. When we went to hook it up (I backed the truck perfectly up under the hitch coupler on the first try – the back-up camera with 7.5” screen is AMAZING!), we found that the jack did not work correctly. The guy who had worked on it came out and brought battery cables. Apparently, someone had left the porch light on and run down the battery.

As he talked with me I discovered he had done the 45-point inspection and had recommended that, among other things,  the A/C be serviced and the porch light be replaced. He also recommended an ozone treatment to rid the camper of the smoky smell, which, oddly enough, I had only noticed on the mattresses. I decided to leave it for them to take care of that stuff.

They are also going to dispose of the  mattresses and replace them with new ones. Did I mention how glad I am that I don’t have to find a place to dispose of those mattresses? I also asked them to put some kind of latch on the outside door to keep it open. The existing latch isn’t really a latch and the slightest breeze slams the door shut.

It was kind of disappointing not to be able to bring the camper home.  I had visions of backing it into my space with no trouble. Too bad I can’t put a backup camera on the back of the camper too.

I’m determined to have everything working perfectly when I start out for my long trip to New York. Hopefully, I’ll be able to bring it home in time to load it up before it’s time to leave. :) (I have about a month – do you think that will be long enough?)

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment