Tuesday, May 4, 2010

City Island

Today, my big project involved going to the AMC in Brandon to see City Island with Andy Garcia and Julianne Margoulis. I probably wouldn’t have gone to see it except I happened to catch Andy Garcia on the Huckabee show Sunday night and was intrigued by what Andy had to say about the film.

City Island is is an actual island and part of the Bronx, but situated on a small island.

To put it as succinctly as possible, the movie was hilarious. I laughed out loud almost all of the way through it. There are several over-the-top characters doing a number of unbelievably outrageous things, but you come to care for each one. I’d give it 5 of 5 stars.

I hope I haven’t built up your expectations about this movie to the point that you don’t find it as good as I did. I remember back in the late 1960’s having a very enthusiastic friend (remember, Hill?) keep me in stitches for an hour and a half as she described 2001: A Space Odyssey. I was so disappointed when I watched the movie. She had been much more entertaining than the movie.

Up In the Air

I’m still pondering the wisdom of traveling to my brother’s in western Tennessee in view of the flooding. Today, I went out to the TN DOT map (http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm) again. There are still a lot of blue squiggly lines indicating where the flooding is. Also, I zoomed in a little which only made the flooding look worse. Sure, my route is mostly interstate highways, but I wonder if my being in some of those areas won’t make it that much more difficult for people trying to provide services to those flooded out. I don’t want to make their jobs more difficult.

I’ll have to make my decision tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I decide.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment