Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Fantastic Birthday

Today, I turned 65…never thought I would live to be this old. Funny thing about it all is that I don’t feel that old. In fact, except for an ache here and a pain there, I feel as good as I did at 35.

This day was just spectacular in many ways. I gained a new appreciation of just how many great friends and wonderful family that I have.

This morning, the phone rang and my sister-in-law, Esther, sang Happy Birthday to me. We had a nice chat and she invited me to go to Orlando with her Sunday afternoon, where her singing group will put on a concert very much like the one I missed last week because I was sick.

Later, Fed Ex delivered a tin of 16 Mrs. Fields cookies. The tin is colorful and has the words “Happy Birthday” on it. Long after the cookies are gone (I’m hoping they’ll last me exactly 16 days), I’ll be able to use the tin and each time I see it, I’ll remember my wonderful 65th birthday, made more than memorable by all of the birthday wishes from my friends and family.

This evening, I joined some of my very dear friends (Karen, Joan, Joyce and Tammy) at my favorite restaurant – those of you who know me well, will know I’m talking about Carrabba’s. We had a leisurely dinner, though all but Tammy ate too much warm crusty bread with the Italian butter (better known as olive oil with freshly cut herbs and spices).

The house salad was fresh and crunchy and dripping with creamy Parmesan dressing. I particularly enjoyed the two Calamata olives.

The spaghetti with meat sauce and Italian sausage was steaming hot and perfectly cooked. The fresh Romano cheese the waiter grated at the table and sprinkled on top was the icing on the cake. The meat sauce was a wonderful contrast to the pasta and the fennel-rich sausage rounded out the dish. Of course, I had eaten so much bread, I had to bring most of my entree home. Isn’t it terrible that I will have to eat some tomorrow?

Speaking of cake, at the end of the meal, I was surprised to be served a generous bowl of creamy vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce and candied pecans. Even though I was full from all of the bread and pasta, I finished every bit of it. My tablemates had to grab my arms to keep me from picking up the bowl and licking it clean – just kidding.

The meal was wonderful, but being with my friends was even better. We have all known each other for years and thoroughly enjoy each other’s company. It was great fun catching up on what’s happening in their lives.

I received several gifts at my birthday dinner, including a gift certificate for Amazon.com with which I can get some more books for my Kindle, a gift card for Wal*Mart that says Happy Birthday on it, and a tee-shirt with pictures of a number of pick-up trucks and the words “Pick Up Line” on the front.

As I look back on this day with a smile, I am so grateful that God blessed me with so many magnificent friends and family. I don’t know what I would do without you all.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment