Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The King’s Speech

If you are like me, you have probably never heard anything about the movie, The King’s Speech, except that Colin Firth won some kind of award for his portrayal of King George VI of England (this is Queen Elizabeth’s father and husband of the late Queen Mother).

In looking at the list of movies playing at Brandon AMC theater, I saw this movie and it looked interesting. Well, it’s much more than interesting. It’s informative: not only a study of relationships within the royal family, but also a tribute to the courage of George VI.

Colin Firth’s wife, whom I have known my whole life as the Queen Mother, is played by Helena Bonham Carter. For you Harry Potter fans, she plays Bellatrix LeStrange. Another Harry Potter actor – he took over the role of Albus Dumbledore after the death of Richard Harris - Michael Gambon, plays King George V. Winston Churchill is played by Timothy Spall, who plays Peter Pettigrew (Wormtail) in the Harry Potter movies.

One of the best performances, though was by Geoffrey Rush, who played Lionel Logue, George Vi’s speech therapist and friend. You might recognize him as the one who portrayed Barbossa in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

You can probably tell by my tone I really enjoyed this movie even though there’s not a single car chase in the whole thing. The actors do a tremendous job. The story is moving and, from what I could tell, genuine. It may well be the BEST movie of the year.

After seeing the movie, I stopped at Publix for a few things then came home to work on my writing prompt. Since it’s 1063 words, I won’t bore you with it.

Hope you all will remember my cousin Ethelyn in your prayers. She’s having a toe removed tomorrow.

Well, I can’t believe it’s 8:15 already. How will I ever get my beauty sleep?

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment