Monday, January 31, 2011

To My New York Friends

To My New York Friends

All of you who live in New York State must be so proud that Chuck Schumer, who has sworn in his capacity as U.S. Senator to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America, has no idea what it says.

Over the weekend, Senator Schumer referred to the three branches of our government as the House, the Senate and the Presidency. The Constitution so clearly defines our three branches of government as the Legislative, Executive and Judicial.

You might want to pick someone else next time you’re voting to fill the position of Senator.

A Beautiful Day

Today was absolutely gorgeous! It was sunny and warm, but not too warm. There was a gentle breeze, but not a howling wind. Most of the time I was in the camper, I had my door open and my screen door with its new patch closed. The fresh air was incredible.

Tomorrow it is supposed to rain, but I hope that doesn’t happen early in the morning. I have a 7:30 appointment to have my truck serviced and would just as soon not get wet or have to drive in the rain.

I signed up to stay here in the park until the end of February and may stay even later depending on how soon some business gets settled, but I’m perfectly content here. I take a nap when I want. I’ve been playing a lot of Scrabble and beat the “normal” computer Scrabble player 61% of the time. When I can beat him 75% of the time, I’ll tackle the expert computer Scrabble player. That time may never come, but I’m having a ball. It’s so easy to play on my Kindle.

The Chronicles of the Door

This week, I’ve been slowly working my way through Gene Edwards’ Chronicles of the Door. It’s a terrific set of books and I’m enjoying them as much or more than the last time I read them.

Writing Prompt: The first time I wore _____

The first time I wore motorcycle boots, I could not believe how comfortable they were. And, it wasn’t just physical comfort, but the comfort of knowing my feet and ankles were much more protected than when I wore sneakers while riding my Honda 360 or, later, my Kawasaki 400.

Riding a motorcycle is the most fun I’ve ever had by myself. The rush of wind as you ride down the highway is, well, a rush. When it’s a beautiful, warm, sunny day, nothing beats a motorcycle ride.

I have experienced motorcycle rides that weren’t so much fun. My husband Mark and I rode on our motorcycles from Rochester, NY to Binghamton, NY just once. We went down on a Saturday and back the next day. I guess we hadn’t checked the weather, because on Sunday, it was very cold and rainy. Since Mark was riding some bike I don’t remember – I just know it was a 120cc -- and I was riding a 90 cc Honda, it took us a long time to get back. If I recall, it was a five-hour trip that day, two hours longer than usual.

Surprisingly, in spite of getting drenched, neither of us caught a cold or got sick from the ride. I wasn’t wearing motorcycle boots then or I might have been a little more comfortable, but maybe not. It wasn’t fun while we were doing it, but we had a lot of laughs looking back on it.

One evening, our friends Dave and Carolyn and Mark and I rode over to East Bloomfield, NY to get some ice cream. It was a beautiful summer evening, not a cloud in the sky. Before we started for home, clouds moved in and there was a downpour. I was wearing my motorcycle boots for that ride. The rain was warm so we didn’t get too cold, but there were times we were riding in a couple inches of water on the road. It was a fun ride, in spite of the rain, especially when we got home and tipped over our boots. A lot of water poured out. We laughed and laughed.

I don’t ride motorcycles any more. There are just too many cars on the road and it’s not safe, but if I ever were to ride again, I would certainly wear boots.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment