Sunday, January 30, 2011

McDonald’s, etc.

McDonald’s Fruit and Maple Oatmeal

This morning, I went down to our McDonald’s at the junction of McIntosh and I-4 and picked up 2 servings of their new Fruit and maple Oatmeal, one for Richard and one for me. We both really liked it and after three hours, I am still full. The oatmeal itself if delicious (you can get it all day) and the fruit was plenteous and fresh. I’m sure there were Granny Smith apples, probably Red Delicious apples, some C’Raisins and some gold raisins. I plan on eating this again and hope you will try it too.

International Space Station Coming Together:

Check out this USA Today feature on the building of the International Space Station. It only takes a couple of minutes.

http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.htm

Screen Patched

Ever since I’ve had my camper, there has been a small hole (i i/2 in. by 1 in.) at the bottom corner. I’ve had screen patches forever, but finally did something about it this morning. I patched it inside and out. The patch is not made of screen. Instead, it is plastic with a screen like pattern on it and is self-stick. I figured if I patched on both sides, it would stay patched better. It doesn’t look too bad, but you can tell it’s been repaired (see bottom left corner). It’s been so nice here, but that will bring the mosquitoes and gnats, which this patch should help keep out.

Screen Patched

And I Thought I Had Toilet Trouble

It was reported in our newsletter today that one of our new residents had their toilet BACK UP and spill sewage all over their bathroom. Someone apparently has been tearing up bed sheets and somehow getting them down their drain. In fact, during this latest incident, a whole sheet was found. What, I wonder, could cause someone to do such a thing? I guess I was even more lucky than I thought.

My Writing Prompt

Prompt: Write about a forbidden activity

“Mama said not to put beans in your ear” is the first forbidden activity I thought of when I started writing in response to this prompt. Silly, huh?

Over the last several years, the government, in its benevolent(more like malevolent) nanny-state role, has instituted a lot of new forbidden (or at least, discouraged) activities: smoking (forbidding this I am all in favor of since I’m terribly allergic to smoke, plus it’s disgusting), using saccharin (which has now been declared okay), using incandescent light bulbs (so we can have the CFL bulbs (containing mercury) which are classified hazardous if you break one--even if they don’t break, they cause migraines in many people, trans-fats, salt (Mayor Bloomberg’s favorite no-no), and of course, guns (though freedom-loving Americans have managed to at least stifle some of that). I could go on and on, but I won’t

There are all sorts of activities that it make sense to forbid. Take the Ten Commandments, for example. Most of the commandments start out “Thou shalt not” (KJV) or “You must not” (NLB). The two that don’t start that way have an implication of forbidden activity. “Observe the Sabbath…” and “Honor your father and your mother...”

When asked what the most important commandment was, Jesus summed up what we should do (and thus, not do) with these words (see Mark 12:29 – 31 in the NLT):

29 Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. 30 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’[e] 31 The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[f] No other commandment is greater than these.”

Just think what this world would be like if everyone followed these two wise commandments. Just love the Lord with all of yourself and love your neighbor as yourself. In my humble opinion, anything we do that does not follow these should be forbidden activities.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment