Sunday, February 6, 2011

A “CHILI” Sunday

I woke to a wet and cold morning and decided to make a pot of chili. It turned out great. I had two bowls for my brunch.

CSI and Gil Grissom

I watched last week’s episode of CSI (Las Vegas), but after 33 minutes of a 43 minute show, I got a message saying the video was not available any longer. I went back just now and watched the ending, even though I had heard from Karen what happened. It was great seeing Gil Grissom on the show, even for just a few minutes.

Verizon iPhone 4

I got an email today that my iPhone 4 had been shipped. According to the FedEx website, it is due to arrive on Tuesday, but I don’t think I’ll be able to activate it until Thursday. That doesn’t mean I won’t try!

Writing Prompt: Write about a stranger

Whenever I think about the word “stranger,” I am reminded of Hebrews 13:2 (NLT): “Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!”

When do we get a chance to show hospitality to strangers? In this day and age, is it safe to take this verse to heart? What exactly does stranger mean? The simplest answer is a person I do not know, have never been introduced to, someone I meet by chance.

But, there have been times when people I have known for years act in such a way that they seem like a complete stranger to me. When confronted by unusual circumstances, they are transformed into someone I do not recognize. I don’t think Hebrews is talking about that type of stranger.

With the economy faltering, all sorts of people are now standing at corners with their hands out. Are these the strangers to whom we are supposed to show hospitality? Somehow, I doubt it.

Yes, we are supposed to show compassion to others, but should we invite these poor people into our homes and show them hospitality? As a woman living alone, I would certainly not. I hardly show hospitality to the people I know and love. :)

My late husband Mark used to carry McDonald’s coupons to pass out to those who hold up signs saying they are hungry. To me, this seems like a good idea. At least, they’ll be able to get something to eat. But, knowing how many of these folks have drug and alcohol problems, I don’t thing it’s wise to give them money.

I’m sure you have been confronted, as I have been, by people at gas stations saying they have run out of gas and just need a couple of dollars so they can get enough gas to get home. I must admit to having given a few dollars, on occasion, in these circumstances. Still though, I don’t think these are the strangers spoken of in Hebrews.

Who, then, are these strangers? I think we first have to consider to whom the author of Hebrews (probably Barnabas, according to Gene Edwards) is speaking. Is it an individual or is it the ecclesia, the church, the body of believers? The verse just before this (Hebrews 13:1) says, “Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters.” Surely, this is not addressed to an individual, but to a group of brothers and sisters.

Even in New Testament times, the world was a perilous place, probably even more then than now. In case you have ever felt guilty, as I have, about not showing hospitality to strangers, I don’t think we need to. I think this admonition to entertain strangers is not to individuals, but to the church.

Of course, we could spend hours discussing what “church” in this instance means. In any case, let’s say it’s a group of people who love the Lord who meet together to worship and fellowship. That might include some of the people who gather together in church buildings from time to time. I think they are the ones who should be showing hospitality to strangers. They are the ones who might be entertaining angels without being aware of it.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment